Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:07 PM   #1

Default fuzzy 50d

I have a 50D that can't be trusted-
When a long lens is used ( I use a Canon 300 2.8) the images look fuzzy and smudged and when looked at at 100 % there is no sharp lines or detail.
I have used other long lens- Sigma 300 2.8, Canon 28-300) with simular results.
And forget about using a 1.4X or a 2X both canon uses on a Canon 300 2.8. The images are so fuzzy they can't be used.
I sent it back to Canon and they said it was the lens. But the images are sharp when used with my other Canon bodies.
I have talked with other 50D owers who have junked theirs because of this problem.
any thoughts
awg31650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:10 PM   #2

First I've ever heard of this issue. Have you done any focus tests to determine if the lens is front/back focusing on the camera? If so, a micro-adjust would fix it. The other alternative is to send both camera and lens to canon for calibration but I would do some focus tests first.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:30 PM   #3

Default fuzzy 50d

I have tested it
I put the camera on a tripod and shot several images from 2.8 to 16.
all were fuzzy.
I used a Mark II and a 5d and the images were sharp.
It is not the focus- the images look like someone smugged them- it is a different look than an out of focus image, and nothing in the image is sharp.
I have mentioned this to several of my professional friends who have bought the 50d and they have the same problem.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:15 PM   #4

As John said, first I've heard of it. My 50D is tack sharp with all of my fast glass.
You only mention the 300 2.8. Do you have the same issue when other glass is mounted?
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:54 PM   #5

Not the brightest suggestion but could it be front or back focussing???? can you post a sample image if possible
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:06 AM   #6
Super Moderator

It's certainly not a general problem with the 50D.

Perhaps a bad batch got shipped to Alaska? Are the other people who have experienced this all physically close to you?

At any rate you need to conduct some focus tests to determine whether any part of the frame is in focus or not, is it for example a decentering of the sensor perhaps?

But from your background it sounds like this is not a run-of-the-mill front or back focus issue. Sounds like the camera is broken.

Love to see some samples.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:55 AM   #7
Administrator

Are you sure you're not seeing softer images due to camera shake (which will be magnified as focal lengths get longer)? Are you using a tripod for your tests? If not, are you making sure your shutter speeds are fast enough (1/500 second or faster with a lens that long on a 50D)?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:21 PM   #8
Administrator

A suggestion...

Try resetting your camera back to factory defaults, just in case a setting you've changed is influencing image sharpness. You'll find a "Clear settings" choice in your setup menu for that purpose.
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:27 PM   #9

Default fuzzy 50D

I have been shooting professionally for over 30 years so
I know when an image is soft due to shake or focus-
The other professionals that I have talked to that have the same problems with the D50 also did test.
The images look smudged or like someone put Vaseline on the lens.
If put a 1.4 or 2X on the 300 2.8 the images are so fuzzey they can't be used.
I'm going to send it back to Canon and see what they have to say.
I like the camera because of the lightness but I wished I spent the extra money and bought the MarkII.
I'm not sure how to post a photo.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:45 PM   #10
Administrator

I'd go with factory defaults (see my last post to this thread) and see what happens, just in case an odd setting combination is influencing it (for example, set to take a photo before it locks focus due to a custom setting/focus mode combo).

To post a photo here, I'd suggest downsizing it using something like the free Irfanview. After opening an image with it (File>Open), look under Image>Resize/Resample. I'd make the longest side around 800 pixels or so, leaving the retain aspect ratio box checked. I normally select the Lanczos algorithm for resizing. Then, when you save the image after resizing (File>Save As), select jpeg as the file type and set the JPEG Quality slider you'll see pop up to around 80%. That will probably get the file size within limits as long as the image is downsized to smaller dimensions first. Make sure to leave the retain EXIF box checked so that members can see the metadata for camera settings used.

Then, use the attachment button you'll see when making a post here, which lets you upload an image and attach it to a forum post (use the button in the editor tool bar that looks like or , depending on the forum theme you using).