Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:30 AM   #1

Default please critique these photos

Hi all,
Please look at these phots of dove, taken from an open window in my kitchen, with Rebel XSi,and Canon 55-250mm lens. Please tell me what I should be doing to get better shots, i am still new to dslr. Have had it only a few weeks, just got the new lens Thursday.

Thanks,
Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:39 AM   #2

Well I can't seem to get the pics uploaded. Maybe too big? Do I have to change size on the camera, and then try to retake the pics? Or can I do it right on the computer? Thanks
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Administrator

If you're looking for Critique on images, the best place to post them is the Critiques and Techniques Forum (which was setup for that purpose).

Make sure to read the Guidelines for that forum here (for example, it's best to limit it to one photo per thread so that more focus is placed on how to improve a single image, versus trying to solicit comments on a lot of images in one thread).

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cr...uidelines.html

You'll need to downsize your images for posting here (so that both the dimensions and file size are not too large).

I'd suggest downsizing them using something like the free Irfanview. After opening an image with it (File>Open), look under Image>Resize/Resample. I'd make the longest side around 800 pixels or smaller, leaving the retain aspect ratio box checked. I normally select the Lanczos algorithm for resizing. Then, when you save the image after resizing (File>Save As), select jpeg as the file type and set the JPEG Quality slider you'll see pop up to around 80%. That will probably get the file size within limits as long as the image is downsized to smaller dimensions first (no more than around 800 pixels on the longest side is desirable, so that members don't need to scroll around to see the entire image). Around 720 pixels is even better (you want members with lower resolution monitors to be able to see the entire image without scrolling).

Then, use the attachment button you'll see when making a post here, which lets you upload an image and attach it to a forum post (use the button in the editor tool bar that looks like or , depending on the forum theme you using).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

Note if you're looking for more camera specific advise, feel free to post them in this forum. Or, if you just want to post photos for sharing and more general comments, we have a variety of Post Your Photos Forums setup for different subjects types (People, Landscapes, etc.), where you'll likely get more comments.

But, for more serious critique on images, I'd use our Critiques and Techniques Forum (as mentioned in my last post).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote