Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:39 AM   #1

Default T1i, For the Wife

The wife has been bugging me about wanting a T1i, she is not happy with her point and shoot FX-5 anymore, not easy enough to control camera settings. She likes what my 40D can do but feels it's just too heavy for her to carry around all day. The T1i looks to be pretty easy to use for general (she shoots everything) photography. Just wondering what others think about this camera for someone getting back into photography? She use to shoot 35mm SLR years ago. Only down side I see is that the T1i can use my lenses. I can see her now loading up my camera bag with everything she wants to use for me to carry all day. Anyway, I found a T1i at Best Buy for $609.00, well sort of; $849.00 on sale with a kit lens (18-55mm I think), less a 10% off coupon, less $155.00 Best Buy bucks that need to be used soon.

So what is the general opinion on the T1i?
Thanks,
Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:14 AM   #2

i just got my BIL a T1i. I have a mark iii and 40D and i was immediately impressed with the amount of detail the sensor can deliver. In real life i see a maximum of 1 or 1.5 stop noise difference say from ISO800. One can clearly use this camera upto ISO800 for quality size prints.

15MP is very good

Camera is very light, functions are well placed and there is a dedicated ISO button.
I can add more points based on your needs

let me know any question regarding T1i. I am sure you cant go wrong there.

Check prices once in Buydig to get an idea about the best price.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:36 PM   #3

How easy is it to adjust shutter speed and aperture in manual mode? Seeing as there is only one wheel on the camera and I couldn't figure out how to do the adjustments while looking at the camera in the store.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:33 PM   #4

if you check the back side of the camera there is a button next to the text AV. you can use the scroll wheel to adjust speed while you have to use your thumb to depress this button and adjust the aperture(or vice versa)

first and second time it felt wierd. but its actually not difficult to adapt and in fact after using a heavier mark III and 40d, u almost feel like finally i am holding a p&s.

most of the required adjustments are available with the toouch of an external button like even the white balance.

overall if you are using 40D, there is a chance that you may feel the Ti1 to be more compact and easy
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:54 PM   #5

Thanks, thought it was something simple I was missing.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:03 PM   #6

I think the T1i is a good small DSLR. Plus you two love birds can share lens and flashes and some accessories.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:19 PM   #7

Looks like I'll be getting the T1i for the wife. Though I am not sure sharing lenses is going to work out well. Then again it give me an excuse to buy another lens, like the 24-105L.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 5:02 AM   #8

Hmm yes also a very nice lens but a little less wide angle on an APS-C sensor. I got the 1Ti (500D) with a EFS 17-55 f2,8 IS. I like the camera and lens very much. Very sharp lens. However, this is a EFS lens and can't be used on a full frame camera, if you ever want to switch, so I'll stick with this 1Ti. I also want a telezoom and think of the 70-200 f4 with or without IS, I am not sure if I ever need an IS.
I started with the first digital Rebel and now got this one. Nice and light for small hands
The build in flash of the 1Ti creates, with the 17-55, a shadow on your photo's at the bottom of the photo's and between 17-20 mm(focal length). I have no experience with the 24-105 L.

Erwin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:01 PM   #9

I like the reach of the 24-105mm lens and already owning the 10-22mm and 17-85mm lenses that covers all of the wide end. Besides the wife will want the 17-55 2.8IS soon anyway.

Last edited by Calicajun; Sep 16, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:39 AM   #10

Didn't get the T1i for the wife, now she wants my 40D. Went out shooting the other day and she thought she give the 40D a try. Well now she seems to want my 40D but that's okay because she said I should get the 7D for myself. Will just have to wait a little while longer for that "L" lens I was eying. 7D, that could be a fun camera too.