Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:23 PM   #21

The only issue that may come up with the 17-55 IS is that it is EF-S. If you ever decide to move to a full sensor you will have to reinvest in a lens. Just something to think about for the future. Of course you did say "money was no object".
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:56 AM   #22
Super Moderator

I know that some people put a lot of stock in that argument.

I think it's sheer madness. Buy the best lens you can for the camera you own now rather than a compromise lens for the camera you think you might just possibly one-day own.

If you do one day go FF then at that point you will either sell or keep your 500D. If you sell it then sell the lens with it, if you keep it then you will have a great lens for it.

Also consider the chain:
500D
50D
7D
5D
1D

The OP still has two levels of crop camera to upgrade to before the EF-S lens will no longer be usable on the upgraded body. Upgrading to FF is a fairly big cost step and the extra budget required should just be factored in when you do the upgrade.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 3:52 AM   #23

Hehe, what I said was IF money was no object...
All through this discussion, money has been a big deciding factor for me I just wanted people to tell me what the best lens out there was, in that category.

Hmmm...I think that as its my first DSLR (and I don't see myself upgrading soon), I don't think that the EF-S lenses are a problem for me. I have heard that eventually they may become useless or get "phased out". But as I see it, I really don't see myself getting a FF sensor camera anytime soon (unless they drastically get cheaper!).

Hmmm...with all this talk about lenses and cameras, I've actually been dreaming about lenses and which one goes best Maybe I should just go out and buy it right now..
vseera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:49 PM   #24

Doesn't look like Canon will phase out the APS-C sensor considering the new lenses they just released and the 7D. However, lenses tend to last a lot longer than the camera bodies. While "money is no object" it is always a consideration. My "L" lenses are still with me. Buy the best lens you can afford, it will be with you a while.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:51 PM   #25

Thanks so much for the discussion and advice guys! I couldn't wait so I have bought the EOS 500D with the kit (18-55mm) lens for now.
And I also got the relatively inexpensive 55-250mm IS lens. So with these two, I should be busy for quite some time and after enough experimentation, I might just go for a better "normal" lens like the 17-55mm, 17-40mm L or the new 15-85mm.
But I think whenever I buy one, my next purchase most probably will be the 10-22mm.

In any case, I have really been enjoying the camera and have managed to click some wonderful pictures as well.

The guy at the store tried to convince me to get a Nikon D5000 instead. He was almost psychotic about it, kept telling me how much better the Nikon was and how much cheaper the lenses were. It did have a good feel to it and I tried out the image quality. On the best settings, images were relatively the same. But when I tried out the worst possible settings for those conditions, the Canon came out quite on top!
Plus, I am a bit partial to Canon anyway.

It's a great camera, maybe a bit small for my hands (I have very big hands) but I think it makes it easier to carry.

I am going to save this thread for the future, as there's a lot of good info in this that I can use even later on.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:50 AM   #26
Super Moderator

Congratulations on your purchase. Those two lenses will indeed provide you with a wide range of options.

Hang on to them for a few months, and when you are confident that you are wringing out every last bit of photographic excellence from them, consider an upgrade. But honestly you now own a camera capable of better images than half of history's great photographers.

Enjoy.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:41 AM   #27

Thank you!

I don't expect to be purchasing any other lens for quite some time, as my liquidity isn't looking as healthy as it was before the purchase

But that doesn't matter, as I am very satisfied with the 2 lenses I have. The 18-55mm is truly quite an excellent lens and while the Auto performance may not be that great, I have noticed with a bit of manual tweaking and experimenting, the results can be amazing.

And the 55-250mm gives me great flexibility, as the effective telephoto on that is 400mm!

I was looking for a small protective bag for my purchase and I have decided on the Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home, as its small enough to carry easily yet can easily fit in the camera and 1 lens.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseera View Post

I was looking for a small protective bag for my purchase and I have decided on the Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home, as its small enough to carry easily yet can easily fit in the camera and 1 lens.
That's what I use for a walk around camera bag. As my camera is one of the smallest DSLRs, I can put both 14-42mm and 40-150mm, a rocket air blower, an extra battery, an extra memory card and a microfiber cloth etc...
Also, it doesn't scream "camera bag".

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:33 PM   #29

Wow, great! Btw, what camera do you have? I am very finicky about bags and for years have searched for the ultimate laptop/gadget bag. Now, with the camera, I needed a camera/laptop backpack too, for travel purposes. So I also got the Crumpler Sinking Barge backpack, in addition to my 4MDH.

I am so glad to hear that the 4MDH is spacious! I was kind of worried that it would be too small for my needs, but I really didn't want to go for the 6MDH as that was too bulky.
And as you said, it doesn't scream "camera bag"! All the professional looking ones really do, I feel!

My setup is going to be quite similar to yours. I'll have my one additional 55-250mm, air blower, memory cards, microfiber cloth, 1-2 ziplock bags (to seal the camera in when it rains), etc.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseera View Post
Wow, great! Btw, what camera do you have? I am very finicky about bags and for years have searched for the ultimate laptop/gadget bag. Now, with the camera, I needed a camera/laptop backpack too, for travel purposes. So I also got the Crumpler Sinking Barge backpack, in addition to my 4MDH.

I am so glad to hear that the 4MDH is spacious! I was kind of worried that it would be too small for my needs, but I really didn't want to go for the 6MDH as that was too bulky.
And as you said, it doesn't scream "camera bag"! All the professional looking ones really do, I feel!

My setup is going to be quite similar to yours. I'll have my one additional 55-250mm, air blower, memory cards, microfiber cloth, 1-2 ziplock bags (to seal the camera in when it rains), etc.
The Crumpler Sinking Barge is a great camera/laptop backpack.

BTW, I use the Olympus E-410 four thirds system and it's one of the smallest DSRs (130 x 91 x 53 mm/ 5.1 x 3.6 x 2.1 in). Yours is 129 x 98 x 62 mm / 5.1 x 3.9 x 2.4 in. So, it's a bit taller and thicker than mine.

And the 55-250mm would be 108 x 70 mm / 4.3 x 2.8 in. I just measured my bag (inside) and your system would fit in the bag just fine.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote