Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1

Default Canon Rebel xsi picture style settings

On my Xsi, , under Picture Style, I was wondering what others set their sharpness, contrast, saturation and color tone to for Standard pics. That is something I just found out about, while reading through the instruction book. Thanks

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:58 AM   #2

Here is a pic of a late blooming daylilly, taken inside with no flash, and ISO was 1600. What do you all think? Anything I should have done different?

SuzieName:  039.JPG
Views: 5651
Size:  49.1 KB
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:59 AM   #3

What made the upper left petal of the flower somewhat fuzzy?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:06 PM   #4

When I had an XSi the only change I made to my Standard pic style setting was to up the sharpness to 7. Actually I set all of my styles, except portrait, to 7.
The sharpness in this photo is suffering because it appears the aperture was wide open.
For flowers, or really any close-up work, focus manually and I would suggest a tripod. A tripod will allow you to slow down and be selective of every aspect of the image. Most important of all, you can set the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture manually. Then you can use your live view and depth of field preview.
Happy shooting!
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:31 PM   #5

Thanks Shadokachr. I'm not sure how I had the aperture wide open, I took several different shots of the lily using different settings. I do not have a tripod yet, that is next on my list. Thanks

Suzie
Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:08 PM   #6

Suzie-

You got the proper analysis. For outdoor shot you want a small aperture and thus, a greater depth of field which will bring all portions of the flower into sharp focus. And yes, a tripod would be a big assist in also improving the sharpeness of your photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote