Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Digital Rebel with Macro Lens Filters?

Straight forward question, can I add on to the front of my 24-70mm lens a macro lens filter (ex. +1x, +2x, or +4x)? Just curious cause I can put them on my DiMAGE 7i, which is pretty obvious. I know that they are a 49mm and would need a step down ring. But I don't want to do so and screw something up.
PureForensic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2003, 7:52 AM   #2

I use them on my 300D + Kit lens with no problems (except loss of DOF). I'm using a step-down ring from 58mm to 49 mm.

Have a go, you can't cause any damage and it does save constantly taking the lens on and off to fit macro tubes (or, if you are rich, macro lenses) so no added dust risk.

You won't find much loss of light and auto focus should work at the lower dioptre numbers. You will probably have to go to manual focus if you go above +2 based on my experience.

Brian
brian1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:53 PM   #3

Default Thanks!

I will take a look at the step down rings on good old eBay. Thanks again.
PureForensic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 12:30 AM   #4

my photo site has an example of using a macro lens (canon 500D two element) on my 28-105. Look at the leaf.

Have to agree that this is very convenient way of photographing close up. Allows you to have a macro capability in your camera bag at all times without the weight of a separate lens. I wouldn't have taken some of the shots I did if I had to change lenses - I was in the middle of a stream for some of them.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote