Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:47 PM   #1

Default Have original Rebel, what would the lastest model give me over it?

I have the original Canon EOS Digital Rebel 300D camera that I bought when it came out. Never really did a lot with it, but now I am getting into photography with it (and Photoshop).

I was curious to see the progression of the Rebel to the latest and greatest model but am having trouble finding out what buying the latest model of it would provide me over what I have now. I have some lenses for the camera so I want to keep in the same family (or another family that accepts the lenses) if I upgrade. I'm no pro, but do want to have a very good prosumer camera.

Can anyone provide me any guidance or point me somewhere that could show me what the best current replacement is for this camera, and what more that would provide me (and if it's even worth doing I guess)?

I want to shoot in RAW, so improvements in this area would be of interest to me.

Thanks so much for you time.
mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:48 PM   #2

You do not mention what Lenses you have.

The Original Rebel was 6 megapixel and though on an APC sensor things have gotten a little out of hand 6 megapixel does not leave you as much room to crop before resolution is too low.

The Original Rebel was crippled (though could be modded) I do not remember all the features.

I assume your asking about the T1i rather then XSi and XS which are still available.
All of the newer rebels shoot raw with full quality jpeg. All are faster and are more feature rich, lower noise, Higher ISO without noise, shoot faster. The Older Rebels really topped out ISO 400 before getting noisy. The newer ones easily go to 800 and beyond though noise picks up in low light.

If you read the reviews of newer models you will see reference to the prior ones as differences and such.

Many here would tell you that Lenses and the Photographer are more important then the body. I would argue though that the 7D is so amazing that it certainly would make a night day difference in the keeper rate.

Tell us more, Lenses, what you shoot, etc.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:39 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply.

As for what I'm shooting, it's mixed. I'm just a hobbyist, trying all sorts of things to see what I like to shoot. Plus, being a techie, I am spending an equal amount of time on Photoshop learning it. But my shooting will be more outdoors than studio.

My lenses are the Canon Zoom EF-S 18-55mm; a Canon Zoom EF 75-300mm; and a Canon EF 50mm. I'm sure these are very ordinary, but if they could be used on a new body that would be great.

That 7D looks insane. But while I could afford to buy it, it would be hard to justify it with what I'm doing now.

The T1i looks like the up-to-date version of the Rebel so I'll take a look at that, and also see what the 50D gives me, and if it uses the same lenses.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:58 AM   #4

wait for few more months. I am pretty sure you are not in a hurry. The next gen xxx series should atleast carry the 40D AF or the new AF algorithm with say 5-9 AF points. The Cost would be around 500-900 and i can say all xxx series cameras coming after the 7D would dfeinitely be better.

Even other wise the 7d prices will come down and you can take a dive at 7D

If its urgent my choices would be an used 40D going for around 700 used.Some cameras dont even have more than 3000 actuations. Almost new.

Sell off the current camera as a kit and get a 40D or T1i with the next gen 18-55IS and 55-250 and enjoy the rest of the next two years on this set up before going for say Canon 739D in 2011
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:09 AM   #5

Do you think this will be after the end of the year, or before?

Also a question: on my camera, I can only get RAW when in manual mode it seems, on the new cameras can you shoot RAW in auto modes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
wait for few more months. I am pretty sure you are not in a hurry. The next gen xxx series should atleast carry the 40D AF or the new AF algorithm with say 5-9 AF points. The Cost would be around 500-900 and i can say all xxx series cameras coming after the 7D would dfeinitely be better.

Even other wise the 7d prices will come down and you can take a dive at 7D

If its urgent my choices would be an used 40D going for around 700 used.Some cameras dont even have more than 3000 actuations. Almost new.

Sell off the current camera as a kit and get a 40D or T1i with the next gen 18-55IS and 55-250 and enjoy the rest of the next two years on this set up before going for say Canon 739D in 2011
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:58 AM   #6

T1I also gives you LiveView and HD video capture.

I personally think the 7d is a new line that will continue on with a 7dmkII at some point.
and the xxD line will continue on with a 60D when the next crop get released
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:51 PM   #7

We neglected to mention but all EF/EFS lenses work on APC bodies so you can re-use what you have though as you point out its not great stuff. Your 18-55 is an EFS and the other I believe is EF.

Your only Lens issues are when you try to put a crop EFS lens on a Full Frame body like 5D Mark II.

I would not bother with a 50D since the t1i is mostly the same.

I agree that if you wait there might be trickle down from the 7D. When is a good question, could be semi never. I suspect less then 6 months. That would be an update of both the Rebel and 50D.

In the mean time read reviews. See if you can find a friend to borrow from to test.

Note that the new trickle down stuff might gain less high iso sensor noise and better focus. Your not going to that heavy build or super rapid shooting trickle down.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:22 PM   #8

Default Raw

Current Rebels allow RAW files on P (program) mode which is similar to Auto, but with more control available. You can also use RAW on aperture or shutter priority, in addition to fully manual. Not for the scene modes, though.

Benefits of upgrading include more megapixels, less noise, bigger LCD screen, Live View option, faster frames per second in continuous mode and higher ISO depending on the model. The XSI is a good upgrade choice if you do not want video, which the T1i offers. Also, the newer models use SD/SDHC rather than CF cards.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

sell off your lenses as a kit. the older 18-55 and the 75-300 aren't really very good and will not get the most out of the new sensors. the 50 1.8 you can keep.

and by the way, the t1i is not "mostly the same" as a 50d. completely different classes, they share a similar sensor and image processor. 50 is bigger, better build, better af, better performance. not everyone needs all that, but its there.

i think the t1i would be a good place to start, coming from a previous rebel. it would save you some money which you could spend on some better glass to make use of the newer sensor. and its performance is a large upgrade from the previous rebel.

i think the 7d would be an overkill, and without good lenses, would not gain you as much as a t1i with some better glass. the 50d you could look into, but i am suspecting the t1i would give you all you want at this point.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:12 PM   #10

HARDS80 has the same answer that I agree with.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote