Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:31 PM   #1
jms

Default 10D settings

I just recently got a new 10D and have been experimenting a little with the different sharpness, saturation and contrast levels.

What do you other 10D owners use for your standard settings? The defaults?
I understand it's best not to try and sharpen too much in camera.

Any info is appreciated.

Jim
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2003, 1:38 AM   #2

Default Re: 10D settings

I'm interested in what other 10D users setups are too.
I just bought my 10D last weekend, so I'm in the process of experimentation.
1) Sharpness set to maximum.
2) Saturation, maximum.
3) Contrast, normal.
I felt the 10D photos were a little soft but, then again I'm used to photos from my Nikon-950, 990 and 5000.
The 10D seems to have a much higher DYNAMIC range and I'm not getting the blown out whites like I used to.
Jim Sakane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms
I just recently got a new 10D and have been experimenting a little with the different sharpness, saturation and contrast levels.

Any info is appreciated.

Jim
Sakane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 5:27 AM   #3
NHL

Quote:
1) Sharpness set to maximum.
2) Saturation, maximum.
... I wouldn't as you can do all this in post editing in Photoshop!

Remember this is all processing parameters and once overcooked can not be undone after the jpeg files are saved... Several of us here actually go to the trouble of having the absolute perfect image capture with none of the processing (ie RAW) so we can control everything from our PC afterward! ie the jpegs output are 8-bits files (8-bits, 8-bits, 8-bits) with data that have been rounded off and compressed by the camera already... 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 1:42 PM   #4
-jb

Default Re: 10D settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms

It depends on how you plan to process your pictures. Most people in this forum with 10D's do exactly what NHL says. We shoot in RAW mode and use our computers for all post-processing. This method treats the RAW image as a digital negative. That negative can be processed many ways after the shot is taken.

The 10D ships with RAW mode processing programs. You don't have to have PhotoShop or any other fancy programs for RAW mode.

If you prefer to shoot JPEG images, and not adjust them with software, you'll need to adjust the settings so that the camera can apply them for you. You are on the right track.

One interesting point is that Canon sets the sharpness, saturation and contrast levels all a notch higher in the 300D than in the 10D. I suspect that is because they think people are less likely to manipulate images with computer software, and more likely to want sharp prints directly from the camera.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote