Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:32 PM   #11

I have been reading reviews on the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM Lens (Non IS) version saying it is a very sharp lens and superb for what i need , Basically i've made my mind up,
Canon EOS 7D and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM Lens. Its more than i was going to spend but i think in the long run its going to be worth it.

One question, some of you have been telling me i need a circular polarizer filter to enhance the colours, sounds great but will i benefit from the standard circular polarizer or do i really need the pro 1 version. oh and i read somewhere you cant put the lens hood on these filters is this true.

Thanks.
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:47 PM   #12
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsoul7 View Post
One question, some of you have been telling me i need a circular polarizer filter to enhance the colours, sounds great but will i benefit from the standard circular polarizer or do i really need the pro 1 version. oh and i read somewhere you cant put the lens hood on these filters is this true.
1. With a polarizer you 're effectively cutting down your lens several stops (i.e. from f/2.8 to f/5.6) in luminance so be careful

2. The hood can go on, but you can't just rotate the filter that's all...

Last edited by NHL; Nov 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:51 PM   #13
Super Moderator

and i am not sure why you would need a circ polarizer for motocross in the first place.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
1. With a polarizer you 're effectively cutting down your lens several stops (i.e. from f/2.8 to f/5.6) in luminance so be careful

2. The hood can go on, but you can't just rotate the filter that's all...

Sorry for asking so many questions but i have never owned one of these lens what do you mean by "you can't just rotate the filter"

I really appreciate your patience with me as i don't know a lot about photography but am willing to listen and learn.

Like most people i only can go by what i read , i was told i needed a CP if i wanted to make the colours stand out,blue skys blue etc.. I want the best set up i can with my budget as i will be keeping the camera for a good while.
Some may say i am biting off more than i can chew with wanting to purchase a 7D and f2.8 lens but i have used a 400D and 70-300 lens with great results so feel this camera would be superb for Motocross photography.
I am willing to read endless posts with advice, I look to you guys as i am sure you were once in my boat.

I could really do with some form of protection against dust and stones for the lens so please advise.
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:46 PM   #15
Super Moderator

usually the circular polarizer would be used in a landscape setting to boost the blues in the sky and give the landscape a little pop. it would not be worth losing the couple stops of light in a motocross situation.

if you would like to protect you lens. i would get a clear Hoya Pro 1.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:57 AM   #16

I always find it disturbing to use a Clear Filter. I use it while carrying or storing. but never when i take pictures.

I had a 250$ filter and found it to be still disturbing. Sold it, got a cheap filter to just protect and usually remove the filter whenever i am taking a snap.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsoul7 View Post
Sorry for asking so many questions but i have never owned one of these lens what do you mean by "you can't just rotate the filter"...
You rotate a polarizer untill the glare you want cut out dissapears, which helps saturate colors and darken blue skies. Depending on your camera, you may or may not notice a slight darkening in the viewfinder, which indicates you have aligned the polarizer correctly. I use a linear polarizer with my older film cameras, but my digitals virtually require a circular variant due to their designs. Of course, if color is all you are looking to enhance, you could simply saturate your colors a bit in the photo-editor of your choice.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote