Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:41 AM   #11

For what it is worth I found this video review on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGUNcO-NKEI

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:48 AM   #12

Anyone got one yet?

I get mine this week.

Big upgrade from the 20D
Kronnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
It's not a rumor - lots of pros have the mkIV. Here's a write-up by Peter Read Miller of Sports Illustrated on the camera... I posted his original opinions earlier this is after more use. They won't be the only ones with the new mkIV. So far it looks like a winner for shooters in the Canon camp.
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2371
Thanks for the link John, Mostly for the CF settings there.
Good place to start and customize from there. I just picked one up and set as nearly as I could to the MKIII settings, there are a few new ones.
Took me 15 minutes to figure out how to get back button focus to work.
I noted he said he uses single focus point only, mostly center. Ill have to dig though the CF settings but I have had great succes in the past with center point and Left/right assist helps when the subject movement changes from dead on at you to a panning scenario which happens quite frequently during football and soccer.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:23 AM   #14

Look forward to hearing back from you Justin after you've worked with it. I'm really surprised how little I'm hearing about the IV from the field. I'm guessing it's because it's working as expected - no big issues, but nothing revolutionary like focus/high ISO performance the D3s introduced to the market. Let us know how things differ vs. the III.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:13 PM   #15

Yes your right John, feedabck usually only happens when people have problems, positive feedback is rarely found on anything. Ive shot a fesw test shots but nothing to truly test the performance yet. I can say that the high ISO is much improved. 800 on the MKIII is like 1600 on the MKIV. It will get a workout this weekend and Ill let you know how it did in a sports venue. I did test the move mode briefly. It produces nice HD vids but it AF is a one shot deal when you first initiate record. After that if you use AF you can hear the lens in the audio and it hunts for focus which makes sense with the mirror up in live view mode. So if one wants to use it for movies manual focus is a must and looking like an external mic is the way to go.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:55 PM   #16

OK just a few findings,
Images are sharp
ISO performance is much improved. Old ISO 800 is now like ISO 1600.
Increased pixel density is nice/higher resolution is working nicely
The shutter noise is much more dampened than the MKIII.
Not that I use it but in camera jpegs are too saturated in default settings.
Reviews I have seen on the AI servo brag about how it will stay tracking better with an object crossing the focus path, well that isnt so. With CF set to slow for track changes it still changes track far too fast. I had one that I was shocked at when I was shooting a player doing a throw in and a player from the oppposing team pointed with her finger in the field of focus and it snapped to her finger ( a good ten yards difference) after the first frame. I did have left and right assist enabled with center point focus as i always shot with the MKIII. Hopefully its just a learning curve on what works best for different subject matter.
Auto ISO is unpredictable and doesnt work very well IMO. I tried it for a very short while and its no different that shooting in AV or TV and relying on metering to compensate and give a good exposure. I shot probably a 100 frames with the same conditions but background changing. The exposures were all over the place, not reliable and useless feature. Full manual yeilded the best results as usual.
Ill wirte up a more comprehensive post when I get more time with it. I will say though that the images shot in full manual are very nice and AI servo works well with the exception of changing subjects too fast, this may be setting related though as i set it up like I did the MKIII.

Last edited by JustinThyme; Sep 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
It's not a rumor - lots of pros have the mkIV. Here's a write-up by Peter Read Miller of Sports Illustrated on the camera... I posted his original opinions earlier this is after more use. They won't be the only ones with the new mkIV. So far it looks like a winner for shooters in the Canon camp.
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2371

Just thought I would point out that peter made a boo boo on the custom functions settings. If you follow this AF will not work regardless of what button used. Im thinking its CfnIV settings.

Here is my Cfn set up for the MKIV

Cfn1
1-0
2-0
3-disable
4-0
5-0
6-0
7-1
8-0
9-disable
10- disable