Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:40 AM   #1

Default Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Announced

Early this morning, Canon USA announced their latest EOS-1D model, the 1D Mark IV.

Key improvements over past models include:
  • 16-megapixel CMOS image sensor
  • Dual DIGIC 4 processors
  • 45-point AF system
  • 10fps burst
  • 14-bit A/D conversion
  • 1080p HD video recording
The Canon EOS-1D Mark IV should be available sometime in December, with an MSRP of US$4,999 for the body only kit.

Please read the entire Canon Press Release.

Click Here to Pre-order your EOS-1D Mark IV today!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:20 PM   #2

Read the press release too. The Mojo they put into the 7D as been engineered into the 1D Full Frame Sensor.

Amazing.

Can't wait for at least some of that technology to work their way into updates of the T1i, 50D, and 5D, none of which of course will be shooting @ 10 fps.

The improved AF in some form needs to make it to the whole line. Everyone of course would also love to see Canon entrant into the Sub 2K Full frame sensor space, perhaps the update to the 5D, perhaps a Mark III. The T1i and 50D Needs to be a little cleaner in low light/High ISO to outclass the competition. My two cents

Last edited by anthlover; Oct 20, 2009 at 8:24 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover View Post
Read the press release too. The Mojo they put into the 7D as been engineered into the 1D Full Frame Sensor.

Amazing.

Can't wait for at least some of that technology to work their way into updates of the T1i, 50D, and 5D, none of which of course will be shooting @ 10 fps.

The improved AF in some form needs to make it to the whole line. Everyone of course would also love to see Canon entrant into the Sub 2K Full frame sensor space, perhaps the update to the 5D, perhaps a Mark III. The T1i and 50D Needs to be a little cleaner in low light/High ISO to outclass the competition. My two cents
Is this really a FF sensor, i'm sure it's still a 1.3....but forgive me if i'm wrong??
karltog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:39 PM   #4
Super Moderator

it is the aps-h sensor, or a 1.3x crop factor.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:42 AM   #5

First Impressions from Peter Reed Miller of Sports Illustrated...
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2316
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Super Moderator

a mini review from Brad Mangin who had a chance to shoot a NFL game with one...
http://manginphotography.net/2009/12...-with-mark-iv/
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:14 PM   #7

Dustin - thanks for the link. I missed Mark's review and am glad I saw it.

Note to pro body buyers - THIS is the type of review you should be looking for. Don't ask when Steves, DP Review or Popular Photography is going to review a pro camera. Seeing real-world reviews using a 400mm 2.8 and TC (exactly how a professional would use it) and seeing the bursts in real world action, AND hearing a working pro's impression of how the camera performed on the job against prior pro cameras is a plus. ESPECIALLY a photographer that was critical of the prior model.

This is NOT a knock on Steve or his staff or the staffs at other review sites. It's just a statement that if you're buying a pro camera you want a pro review. And there's no way a 200mm shot or series of shots of a car or dog can compare to an NFL receiver/back at 560mm f4 or 400mm f2.8 used by someone that uses the gear day-in-day out to put food on the table. By inluding the sequence shots and ability to see originals THAT is a good quality review emphasizing the single most important point to any potential buyer of the mkIV. For cameras like a 50d or 500d the generic reviews are great. But when you get into d3/1dmkIV territory you want to look for reviews like this - not reviews with photos of objects on a table. Just my opinion.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:52 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Default Updated Firmware Coming Soon.

FAQ: Announcement regarding AF tracking performance of the EOS-1D Mk IV

As a result of further enhancement, Canon is working to release a firmware update for the EOS-1D Mark IV. This firmware update further enhances the AF tracking performance and is scheduled to be available for download from the Web starting from late January.

We will update this announcement on once this firmware update is ready for download.

Answer:

Details of the enhancement:
Firmware Version 1.0.6 enhances the AF tracking performance of the EOS-1D Mark IV for receding subjects and for subjects that are approaching at a low speed.

source: Canon Europe
http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/...=tcm:13-710446
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:22 PM   #9

Rumors are that Sports Illustrated has a few of these cameras in their hands to shoot the Olympic with. Seems like a sweet sports camera wonder how it will due in very cold conditions..... seems like its gonna be everyone's dream D-SLR at some point. At least for those who can afford it and the lenses to go with it.

So John G how many images you think Sport Illustrates staff will take over the 2 weeks of the Olympics? Half a million? I reads somewhere a few years ago that they do 15,000 images during the entire superbowl between all their staff photographers on site. I'm also guessing a lot of people would love that job........

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Feb 4, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:04 AM   #10

It's not a rumor - lots of pros have the mkIV. Here's a write-up by Peter Read Miller of Sports Illustrated on the camera... I posted his original opinions earlier this is after more use. They won't be the only ones with the new mkIV. So far it looks like a winner for shooters in the Canon camp.
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2371