Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Eric is right, the camera is the limiting factor and not the CF or Microdrive: the 4G microdrive is dead last on the Digital Rebel, but top the list on faster hardware (ie close to 4 times the performance on the same drive but on a different camera): http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6112

... Cost is usually what drive people to microdrives: I paid $199 for a 2G here last week, speed is a bonus... :lol: :lol: :lol:
That sure would fit a lot of pictures The price would be insane for the CF based ones. Although the battery would last a long longer with them. My 512MB CF shot 400 (half flash) before even dropping to the second notch on the indicator. How come that place card is so much cheaper? The other 1GB microdrives list for about the same price as this 2.2GB one. This stat does not look good : Error Rate(unrecoverable):< 1 per 1013 bits transferred

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:47 AM   #12

do not confuse a magicstor with a microdrive. they are 2 different animals and the magicstor is of much lesser quality.

also don't forget a microdrive carries a 1 yr warranty vs a lifetime from a cf manufacturer like lexar. after 1 yr with a MD you're on your own. that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about my investment.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
do not confuse a magicstor with a microdrive. they are 2 different animals and the magicstor is of much lesser quality.
I just thought it was the brand
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:55 AM   #14

NO!!!!!!

the MD is the product of Hitachi. MICRODRIVE is their brand.

Magicstor is a china based company doing a knock off. the failure rate is higher then a MD.

http://www.gs-magicstor.com/english/about-gs-c/gsgk.htm

do not equate the 2 devices in any way..
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:03 AM   #15

[quote="sjms"]NO!!!!!!

the MD is the product of Hitachi. MICRODRIVE is their brand.

Magicstor is a china based company doing a knock off. the failure rate is higher then a MD.

[quote]

I would hope so. The error rate estimate looks horrible. There would be 25 or so for each picture! I'll just stick with the memory based ones. They look like about the same price as the Hitachi/IBM drives.

Eric
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:05 AM   #16

Quote:
When using a digital camera with Magicstor 2.2GB CFHDD and taking burst shot for too long. If the temperature exceed 65 degree, it might cause a error. If the error occurred, just let the CFHDD cool down, the error should be gone and user can continue shooting picture with Magicstor 2.2GB CFHDD. By comparing with IBM/Hitachi Microdrive which it was found that has the same issue.
i love this disclaimer from magicstor. hitachi never mentions this in their literature or makes this disclaimer.

that error generally causes the card to shutdown. i used an MD in a eos1d. never had this problem at high burst. doesn't sound too promising to me.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:07 AM   #17
-jb

I have always shied away from microdrives because of their mechanical make-up. The hard drives in computers are the weakest link, I didn't want to trust my pictures to one too if I have another better alternative.

Have any of you using microdrives had a mechanical failure? I know that CompactFlash cards can have problems too, I'm just wondering if hard drive models are more prone to failure than CF cards.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:15 AM   #18

i have had issues with my SSCF cards but have always been able to myself or had the manufacturer of the card retrieve the data that was on the card and replaced the problem card. thats why i stay with certain brands. once a MD ceases to spin. your looking at $$$ to retieve and zippo for replacement after 1 year.

now i had a MD for 1.5 years and no trouble. it seems to hitachi it was a owner handling issue that caused the higher failure rate. people would squeeze the top and bottom of the housing in their fingers and cause internal contact between the head/armeture assy and the actual disk. they have redesigned the positioning of all the components and put a polymer bumper system in them. the should always be handled by the edges though. even with these improvements the warranty never increased beyond 1 year. why did i sell it... the SSCF cards got faster and the warranties are better.

by the way this is magicstors support in north america

Sales Contact for North Americal

Taipei Office
  Add: 1F, No 107-1 , Sec. 4 Hsin Yi Road, Taipei, Taiwan
  Tel+886 2 2708 2569
  Fax+886 2 2755 3037
  E-mail[email protected]

copied right from their website.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:29 PM   #19
NHL

Quote:
This stat does not look good : Error Rate(unrecoverable):< 1 per 1013 bits transferred
Stay cool people it's <1 per 10 Exp 13 bits transferred (ie both the magicstor and the microdrive have the same specs)!

Quote:
i used an MD in a eos1d. never had this problem at high burst. doesn't sound too promising to me.
The operating limit for the microdrive is max out @ 70 C... the reason you never seen it, is that your camera probably have never reached 149 F internally where most non-military or industrial spec'ed electronics would have failed anyway: where the signal timings between devices would not have met their set-up, hold time or both (solid state or not) especially when they are running @ an extra high clock rate (remember thoses cooling fans in PC?). Trust me no one knows what hot is until they've run a microdrive in their laptop for several hours... a camera is quite benign even with the occasional burts or two, especially with a slooow Digital Rebel (and not a DCS-14n)!

I let you guys know when I receive my unit... 2G for the price of 1!
... You may not like it but most fabs are now in this part of the world including the microprocessors in your camera or even the internal gut of your flash cards. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:18 PM   #20

i was referring to the magicstor. there have already been multiple failures of these drives and shutdowns at considerably lower temps then the MD in eos1d models shooting. do not confuse the two. i have greater confidence in the MD then in Magicstor.

people are thinking the Magicstor is a Hitachi Microdrive and i know there is a big difference.