Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Canon Rebel - Microdrive vs. CF ? help

Hi there

I'm planning on buying a Rebel Kit with an Hitachi 1Gb microdrive at b&h

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=304228&is=REG

Thing is that I never used a microdrive before, and don't know if it's slower or faster than a compactflash ultra II 40x (9mb/s)

Thanks for the advices

Can't wait for my new Rebel :shock:

Majestic-Twelve

--------------------
Oly C-700UZ
Canon A-1 28mm - 50mm - 80/200mm
Majestic Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:55 AM   #2

Default Re: Canon Rebel - Microdrive vs. CF ? help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic Twelve
Hi there

I'm planning on buying a Rebel Kit with an Hitachi 1Gb microdrive at b&h

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=304228&is=REG

Thing is that I never used a microdrive before, and don't know if it's slower or faster than a compactflash ultra II 40x (9mb/s)

Thanks for the advices

Can't wait for my new Rebel :shock:

Majestic-Twelve

--------------------
Oly C-700UZ
Canon A-1 28mm - 50mm - 80/200mm
The 40x will be a LOT faster when used in a card reader. Probably about the same speed in the camera. The main difference is the microdrives take much more power. I belive it was 1ma idle, 20ma write on the CF and 20ma idle, 250ma write on the microdrive. Don't hold me to the exact numbers.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:24 AM   #3

Ok Ewitte

I don't care about the speed in the cardreader, what really worries me is the speed for taking action burst photos

So in camera the 40x CF will be faster than the Hitachi microdrive ?

Thanks for your help
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:27 AM   #4

All your answers are right here

http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425

bottom line a 40x quality brand name CF card will be approx 20% faster then a IBM/Hitachi 1GB microdrive. the 4Gb MD was even more disappointing in the transfer dept on canon cameras.

remember you are limited by the internal buffer of the camera and the firmware that sets priorities for function and power consumption.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 3:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Ok Ewitte

I don't care about the speed in the cardreader, what really worries me is the speed for taking action burst photos

So in camera the 40x CF will be faster than the Hitachi microdrive ?

Thanks for your help
The DRebel tops out much lower than either can supply. If you have a faster card than the camera can write to your not going to benefit from it. Here is a chart:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

Eric
Old Nov 16, 2003, 3:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
All your answers are right here

http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425

bottom line a 40x quality brand name CF card will be approx 20% faster then a IBM/Hitachi 1GB microdrive. the 4Gb MD was even more disappointing in the transfer dept on canon cameras.

remember you are limited by the internal buffer of the camera and the firmware that sets priorities for function and power consumption.
Oops same link The lexar 40x type II looked bad on that list.

Eric
Old Nov 16, 2003, 4:21 PM   #7

quote ewitte
>The DRebel tops out much lower than either can supply. If you >have a faster card than the camera can write to your not going to >benefit from it.

quote robgalbraith.com
>>Our strong recommendation is to consider only the fastest cards >>available for this camera, though it should be noted that the >>performance difference between the top 10 or so cards in this >>camera is relatively narrow.

????
Ewitte : you're saying that the CF's and MD's are faster than the Rebel ? Then why does robgalbraith.com recommends buying the fastest one's ?

Thanks for the help
Old Nov 16, 2003, 6:03 PM   #8

Quote:
quote ewitte
>The DRebel tops out much lower than either can supply. If you >have a faster card than the camera can write to your not going to >benefit from it.

quote robgalbraith.com
>>Our strong recommendation is to consider only the fastest cards >>available for this camera, though it should be noted that the >>performance difference between the top 10 or so cards in this >>camera is relatively narrow.

????
Ewitte : you're saying that the CF's and MD's are faster than the Rebel ? Then why does robgalbraith.com recommends buying the fastest one's ?

Thanks for the help
I'm not sure. The entire top half of the list had close to the same results. Any of those should be fine. And some of them are not performance oriented. If you look at the chart the cards top off around 1292K/sec on the Rebel. Now go to the Kodak DCS 760 and notice the top ones are getting over 3MB/s. Several of the other cameras get over 3MB/s as well.

Eric
Old Nov 16, 2003, 6:19 PM   #9
NHL

Eric is right, the camera is the limiting factor and not the CF or Microdrive: the 4G microdrive is dead last on the Digital Rebel, but top the list on faster hardware (ie close to 4 times the performance on the same drive but on a different camera): http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6112
Most of the time the buffer in the camera will buffer up the consecutive shots so you can't tell the difference, only until this buffer is full, that's the only time you'll notice the slight delay in one format vs another.

As for battery consumption on the microdrive I can usually filled up close to two microdrives before the low battery warning on the 10D lit up... if you shoot more than that then one can start to worry about carrying a 2nd battery!

... Cost is usually what drive people to microdrives: I paid $199 for a 2G here last week, speed is a bonus... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 9:46 PM   #10

Thanks Sjms, Eric and NHL !
I'll go with the hitachi 1gb of B&H then

I want my DRebel NOW !