Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netman View Post
Does a lense like this exist?
It seems that the Tamron 18-270 VC would do everything the OP wanted.

What do you want a lens to be able to do?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:15 AM   #12

I gotcha. I am looking at moving to the dslr world. I am debating between the Xsi and T1i. I have young kids and they want to be able to take better pics of them indoors and in sports like soccer.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:21 AM   #13

Both the XSi and the T1i would be good choices. The "indoors" part can be handled either with large aperture lenses or a flash. If the "indoors" part is "indoor sports" then flash is out, so that leaves large aperture lenses. Canon has a good selection of lenses for sports, both indoors and outdoors.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:26 AM   #14

Better lens is the only answer between the above two cameras and your requirement. Both the cameras are good with one having extra MP. Not sure if it would help a majority % of time if you are not printing like posters.

Otherwise, spend some time on finding a faster lens and better lens. 50mm F1.8, sigma 30mm f1.4, canon 85mm F1.8....these lenses will get you the shutter speed at high ISO to freeze some action. With a kid everything is an action shot knowing how "hyper" they are.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:04 AM   #15

I typically set the camera to a lower MP anyway since printing larger pictures is never a concern. I am thinking about going with the Xsi. I found it for $200 less and put that money towards a flash and/or a lens.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:10 AM   #16

The XSi is a fine camera, but the T1i has a few advantages. Most obviously, the T1i can record video. But it can also capture images at higher ISO settings than the XSi, which would let you use faster shutter speeds indoors. This results in less motion blur due to either subject movement or camera shake, and without using a flash.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:12 AM   #17

I was trying to decide between the XSi and T1i. The T1i does have advantages over the XSi by having higher mp and iso and can do video. If money is no object, go for it! However, the money you save by buying the XSi will pay for a flash unit if you want one. I just bought a XSi 2 lens combo for $633 shipped. It should be coming in next week.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote