Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:53 AM   #1

Default XSi or T1i - Make a descision

I have made many mistakes with camera purchases (is there a Camera Anonymous). I bought an XSi with the 2 lens kit earlier this year, and was unhappy, so sold it and replaced it with a 'bridge' camera. Still unhappy and realized that I should have never made that stupid move. Now i want to go back to a dSlr with other choices of lens but wonder if the T1i is worth the upgrade over the Xsi. I absolutely do not need the video, and other than that can't see much reason to pay the extra. Perhaps some of you opinionated photogs could sway me.
motib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Administrator

Why were you unhappy with the XSi?

Were there some limitations you were running into using it?

IOW, unless your equipment was the limiting factor (speed of operation, noise levels at higher ISO speeds, lens limitations, etc.), buying a more expensive camera may not help anything.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Why were you unhappy with the XSi?

Were there some limitations you were running into using it?

IOW, unless your equipment was the limiting factor (speed of operation, noise levels at higher ISO speeds, lens limitations, etc.), buying a more expensive camera may not help anything.
In my mind I was just unhappy switching lenses at the most inopportune time. I am away that with the 'low cost' lens there will always be some drawbacks. Obviously, wanting everything and not paying for it will always be a problem for me.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Super Moderator

motib,

the new kit lens is quite good actually for its range, its plenty sharp and the image stabilization works well. you can always marry that with the 55-250 IS and cover a good amount of focal length for a good price. then a 50 1.8 is only about 75$ for when you need more light gathering capabilities or want to work with selective focus. you will not be limited by that kit and it comes at quite a nice price. its a great start and you can really do alot with it.

as for the xsi vs t1i, you have already ruled out the video. this just leaves the ability to shoot at iso 3200, which would be reserved mainly for low-light action type shots, or indoor venues that prohibit flash usage. if you don't do a majority of this type of work, the XSi should be a great choice.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Super Moderator

It seems that the lens changing issue is quite key, the problem with this is that you generally lose quality with lenses that cover a larger range (say 18-200) so this defeats a lot of the object of having a dSLR. I personally use both a dSLR (or 5 - one of which is a T1i) and a bridge or sometimes take a smaller P&S. They all have their uses but for quality and control I will pick up a dSLR, for convenience I will go for the bridge/superzoom when I want a do all/everything in most situations.

Personally you are wasting money if you don't get the right glass to go with the body you choose. The XSi is a great camera and will give good results but personally I wouldn't limit what it can do with a lens covering too much range.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It seems that the lens changing issue is quite key, the problem with this is that you generally lose quality with lenses that cover a larger range (say 18-200) so this defeats a lot of the object of having a dSLR. I personally use both a dSLR (or 5 - one of which is a T1i) and a bridge or sometimes take a smaller P&S. They all have their uses but for quality and control I will pick up a dSLR, for convenience I will go for the bridge/superzoom when I want a do all/everything in most situations.

Personally you are wasting money if you don't get the right glass to go with the body you choose. The XSi is a great camera and will give good results but personally I wouldn't limit what it can do with a lens covering too much range.
thanks for your post. What's your take on the Tamron 18-270 lens
Old Nov 6, 2009, 3:25 PM   #7

The Tamron 18-270 is one of the best superzoom lenses available, but it's not as good as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges, and it's more expensive.

How much is it worth to you just having one lens to do everything?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 3:44 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Erm, I find myself asking what kind of pictures you like to take that you need such a wide zoom range?

I'm not trying to be argumentative (well no more than usual) I'm really curious.

If you have to, the new Canon 18-200 IS is not a terrible lens, and nor is the Tamron 18-270 (although it's very soft from 200-270). But there are big optical compromises with such a large zoom range, and to me it makes little sense to carry a big camera with a big zoom just to get moderate quality.

Though if you really want a beast you could use the 5DMkII and 28-300 L zoom. :P

Last edited by peripatetic; Nov 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:40 PM   #9

I find that I take a lot faces from a distance and the zoom is a big help. I think (after rethinking) that I will carry some smaller lens for closeups of flowers, etc. Thanks for your input (and to everyone else previously)
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
How much is it worth to you just having one lens to do everything?
Does a lense like this exist?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote