Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:05 AM   #1

Default Canon xT1 Package and lens choice help needed

I am about to purchase the xt1. Right now, there is a special and I can get it with the kit lens and a 55-250 mm lens for a total of $899.

I think that I would like to get the 50 mm lens too. I can get the camera and kit lens (no telephoto lens) for $699 - then would add the cost of the 50 mm lens (f1.8).

My question: I use my camera mainly for photographing an active 4 year old and her friends - often in low-light and obviously often in movement! Is it better to get the telephoto lens package or should I just get the kit lens + 50 mm? I don't want to just have lenses that I don't use around, but then I have not had a DSLR yet, so, I don't have to hands on knowledge of whether I will rely mainly on one lens or many?

Thanks for any insights/advice
CynthiaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaK View Post
I am about to purchase the xt1. Right now, there is a special and I can get it with the kit lens and a 55-250 mm lens for a total of $899.
That's expensive. Adorama has the Canon XSi with the 18-55 IS kit lens (which is better than the one that comes with the XTi) for $600, and the Canon 55-250 IS lens for $255. That's $855 total, $44 less for a newer, better camera with a newer, better kit lens.

Quote:
I think that I would like to get the 50 mm lens too. I can get the camera and kit lens (no telephoto lens) for $699 - then would add the cost of the 50 mm lens (f1.8).
That's also expensive. Adorama has the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II for $110. That's $710 for everything.

Quote:
My question: I use my camera mainly for photographing an active 4 year old and her friends - often in low-light and obviously often in movement! Is it better to get the telephoto lens package or should I just get the kit lens + 50 mm? I don't want to just have lenses that I don't use around, but then I have not had a DSLR yet, so, I don't have to hands on knowledge of whether I will rely mainly on one lens or many?
I suspect that, from what you say, you could use all the lenses you mentioned. For a 4 year old, I'd say get the 50/1.8, and whe she grows up and becomes more active outdoors, get the 55-250 IS.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Administrator

I think you probably mean the Canon T1i versus xT1, as Canon does not make a dSLR named xT1. ;-)

Less expensive models you may find include the XTi, XS and XSi. The prices you're mentioning are more in line with the newer T1i, not the older XTi (and they don't make a model named XT1).

The T1i is a very nice camera, with better Autofocus and higher available ISO speeds compared to the less expensive models from Canon, and thanks to instant rebates on some of the available kits, you can find some pretty good deals right now.

The Canon 55-250mm IS lens normally sells for about $255 at reputable dealers. So, you'll have to decide if it's worth spending an extra $200 for a kit including it. If you want to shoot further away subjects, you may find that it comes in handy.

As for indoor photos, you may want to consider an external flash (for example, a Canon 430 EX II or Metz 48 AF-1) so that you can bounce the flash for more diffused and even lighting, without worrying about the blur from subject movement you may get trying to shoot indoors without a flash using a brighter prime. If you do want to get a brighter 50mm f/1.8 later, you could always do that (and they're usually around $100 or less if you shop around). Or, you may find that a wider lens is a better bet for indoor use (for example, a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DT HSM lens), depending on how much room you have to work with. Once you get some experience using your camera, you'll be able to make better informed decisions on what focal lengths may work best for the conditions you use a camera in more often.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:41 AM   #4

That is what I get for writing a question BEFORE I have coffee! Sheesh. Yes, you are correct, I am looking at the T1i!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:04 PM   #5

Jim's advice is good. I do a lot of low light shooting. I do low light sports when I can't use flash. BUT, when it comes to photographing my 3 year old son and my various nieces and nephews indoors I put away my 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and 70-200 2.8 and take out my external flash. The reality is - in many home situations there just isn't enough available light to freeze the movement of an active child. The 50mm 1.8 is great for portrait style shots where your child isn't moving but once they start moving indoors it's rare that even 1.8 will help you - you'll be shooting at ISO 3200-6400 and there's no good reason to do that when an external flash does the job better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:38 AM   #6

John G: when shooting indoors and using an external flash, what lens do you use?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:09 AM   #7

Quote:
John G: when shooting indoors and using an external flash, what lens do you use?
Whichever lens I want. The focus assist beam on the external flash helps with focusing regardless of lens. Now, I have a different camera and a different walk-around lens than you are looking at. But my advice for you is for the indoor stuff, use the kit lens (it's quite good) and the external flash. If and when you add a 1.8 lens you can still use the flash (or not if there is enough light).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:11 PM   #8

One last question - I saw on the Canon website that they have an external flash (270 EX) that is not quite as expensive as the 430. Is the 270 EX (I think it used was the 230) fine for my situation (low-light/indoor, pictures of kid)?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:32 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I would go ahead and get the 430. The 270ex is pretty limited in power, especially if you want to bounce it. And the head does not swivel, so you cannot bounce in portrait orientation.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:03 PM   #10

The obvious advantage the T1i has over the XSi is that the T1 can take video.

The video is seems like a big advantage when you hear it, but there's one drawback to it. The video is manual focus. It may be a bit work of keeping moving objects in focus.

When I want to shoot video, I use my video camera. Only in a pinch do I rely upon the video in my camera.

The price difference between the T1i and the XSi (body only for both) is about $120. The T1i has a few other upgrades, that may be valuable to you. I have an XSi as my back up camera and really like it. It's simple to use, small enough for my wife's hands and the kit lens that came with it (18-55 with Image Stabilization) works well for shots at home with our kids and dogs.

Am I overlooking additional upgrades from the XSi to the T1i that should be considered in making a purchase decision?
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote