Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2003, 3:58 PM   #1

Default Tiny Test Sigma 24-135 2.8-4.5 vs. Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS

Maybe helpful for some of you: Looking for a good "every day lens" I had the chance for a short comparsion of the Sigma 24-135 2.8-4.5 and the Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS in the shop.

I made a few freehand shots in the shop, with low light, perfect for me, because I wanted to see what IS really is good for, and I can tell now: A LOT!! It is really awesome... made a absolutly sharp shot freehand at 1/20!
Thought, that the Sigma would be a good (and cheaper) alternative, but I was very disapointed - just take a look at the shots...

Also the AF of the Sigma was very loud, and had problems (hunting). For me my decision is crystal clear the Canon lens!

Both pictures shot wide open (i.e. 24mm for the Sigma, 28mm for the Canon). I made 4 pictures with every lens (full tele/wide open), and ALL of them showed the same results!

Klaus W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:00 PM   #2
jms

You scared me there for a second. I thought your test was going to show the Sigma as better before I saw the shots.
I just ordered the Canon yesterday and figured somebody would post something today about a better lens for less $$$.
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 8:42 PM   #3

I have a feeling from reading, listening to shop sales persons and testing lenses in shops, that low budget Sigma lenses are just poormans crap.
Looking at epinion user reviews, cheap Tamrons seems to perform better.
The only serious comment heard sofar on the Canon 28-135 IS, is the lens creap/sliding out of zoom position.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:44 AM   #4

Klaus I can't believe the difference.
I used a 28-105 f2.8-4 from Sigma but that was nowhere near this bad, did it focus correctly, it seems the focus is way off here.

I always test in daylight to make absolutly sure the focus is dead on.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 3:18 PM   #5

Frank,

well, maybe the lens was damaged, I don't know... but as said really every shot I made showed the same results: Canon clear and sharp, and the Sigma...

Maybe the results would be better in daylight, but it was my target to see the performance of the lenses under difficult conditions.

I will visit the shop again in a few days, an show them the printed results (as this 100% crop gets much smaller when printed, the difference is not THAT bad, like on the screen, but still clearly visible), I'm curious about their opinion. It was the last of this Sigma they had, maybe it was really a bad lens...? But I don't think that the focus was bad, because every part of the photo is blurred, not only this crop, that I choosed! If it would be a problem with the focus, then something nearer to or more away from the camera should be sharp...!?

Anyway I am very happy, that I found a shop, where I can test the lenses, make shots, take a look at them at home, before I decide. Not so easy here in Austria, if you want half-decent good prices too! (bdw. This stuff is really expensive here!! The Canon 28-135 IS is 614,- in this shop, cheapest 566,- + shipping at internet-stores - and the is at about 1.2 to $ at the moment... ...) At that day I bought a Canon EF 50/1.8 II for 134,- that's about $ 160,-...

I am really thinking about a daytrip to USA, just for shopping lenses...
Klaus W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 2:47 AM   #6

I know the problem with prices, over here they are almost gold .

I have a supplier who has almost every model in stock, so I can test my heart out, and always do to be honest, it has saved me more than once.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:58 PM   #7

I too have both a Sigma 24-135 F2.8-4 and a Canon 28-135 F3.5-5.6. I love the Canon lens even though it is really a slow lens. I want to love the Sigma but I have a Canon 10d that has the front focus problem. On the Sigma the problem shows up at F2.8 at 24 and to a lesser extent at 28mm. Other focal lenghs seem ok. I really would like to keep the lens so I would have a fast 2.8 with that focal length range - but... The pictures shown earlier in this forum bear this out. At 24mm and wide open (just where I want it to be great), the Sigma lens is the worst. Worse yet, Sigma says they don't have a chip to fix this lens. I probably will try to sell the lens to someone that doesn't have a Canon 10d or wait for Canon to come up with a successor to the 10d and hope they fix whatever is keeping their camera from working with non-Canon lenses.
bruceperson is offline   Reply With Quote