Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:55 PM   #1

Default Photo Software??

We just purchased a Canon Rebel XT and we are searching for a software to edit our pics with? What would you recommend. We are looking for a software that will not only edit but also do digital scrap book, slide shows and digital stickers ect.. Any advice?
gndksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:52 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:05 PM   #3

... which is available as a free trial download from http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...P_US_FP2_LR_MN
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:12 PM   #4

Photoshop Elements 8, Costco $79, is a very good piece of photo editing software. Does do slide shows, scrap booking, etc.

Lots of useful, easy to use editing tools.

A program providing better and easier to create slide shows is ProShow Gold, about $49 I think. Can add videos to slide shows, music, layered slides (allows adding slides to slides with movement between the slides, zooming in on the slides, rotation of the slides, many transitions, etc.

Both programs are free trial downloads.

There are free programs that offer some of the features of these programs, but really don't come up to the breath and caliber of these two programs, and are really not any easier to use.
Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:28 PM   #5

Come to india...i wont reveal the softwares you can "JUST USE".

But adobe lightroom is a terriric photo editing tool. Canon DPP is the tool i am using a lot lately. May be i am lazy, or may be i am trying to just do basic edits to my pictures.

GIMP is FREE and is almost like Photoshop. Leaning GIMP is a little tough compared to PS or adobe light room.

But you get everything like a PS
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Super Moderator

elements or lightroom are pretty photographer friendly and easy to learn. i have also heard good things about the newer versions of paint shop pro photo x2.

Gimp is a little daunting to learn for someone not familiar with image editing. but it is powerful and free.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:56 AM   #7

Lightroom 2 is available I know I got it and looking at getting it later to add to the collection of photo workshops that I have gotten of many computers and cameras and just given. With three computers that I can work on two which are not up as of now and another in the living room the kid uses for gaming and hopefully soon to upgrade to another only the next one my other son and I have in mind is an Apple. Light room 2 has better leveling and some other extras that Lightroom don't...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:20 AM   #8

Another popular and free option is IrfanView.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:32 AM   #9
Administrator

I'd download a full featured Linux distro and try digiKam

I'd suggest giving the brand new OpenSUSE 11.2 a try, installing the KDE 4.3 version (that the newer digikam versions are designed to work best with). It was just released about 30 minutes ago (announcement still not made), and hit the download mirrors about 10 minutes ago.

http://software.opensuse.org/112/en

I'm running under a release candidate of 11.2 now.

It will automatically detect your Windows install if you use the defaults, and suggest a partitioning scheme it can use to install it in a dual boot configuration with Windows (so that you can pick the operating system you boot into when your restart your PC). You could also install it in a Virtual Machine under Windows using VirtualBox (free), so that you could run both Windows and Linux at the same time. Or, do it the other way around (install Windows in a virtual machine under Linux). ;-)

In a commercial product for Raw Conversion, I'd try Bibble Pro. It's available for Mac, Linux and Windows operating systems. You may also want to give the latest Bibble 5 Preview 3 a spin.

http://www.bibblelabs.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote