Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:14 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 62
Default 7D Question

I've heard that the new Eos 7D will not accept third party batteries.
Apparently, if you use a non Canon battery, the indicator on the LCD warns that the battery has no charge, even when it's fully charged.
Can anyone comment on this ?
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mugmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,157
Default

Howdy Stranger,

I did a quick google search on this and found that there is a work around to use a 3rd party battery but it will not communicate very well with the camera. ie, charge level. With all the info the 7D can collect for multiple batteries, I think I'll just spend a little more for a true Canon battery.
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:02 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugmar View Post
Howdy Stranger,
I think I'll just spend a little more for a true Canon battery.
Hi Mugmar
Unfortunately I live in 'Rip Off' Britain and Canon batteries are more than a 'little more' here.
The LP-E6 retails for around 70 ($116 US).
As I planned to get a battery grip for the 7D I would be looking for 3 extra batteries which would cost around 210 ($348 US).
This is a ridiculous price considering 3 compatible batteries would cost around 50 ($83 US).
I've used compatible third party batteries for years in my 400D and never had a problem. In fact I've found them better than Canons own !
I wonder how compatible batteries (and also standard AA batteries) perform in the battery grip ?

Last edited by Stranger; Nov 24, 2009 at 9:06 PM.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dickson, Tennessee
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Hi Mugmar
Unfortunately I live in 'Rip Off' Britain and Canon batteries are more than a 'little more' here.
The LP-E6 retails for around 70 ($116 US).
As I planned to get a battery grip for the 7D I would be looking for 3 extra batteries which would cost around 210 ($348 US).
This is a ridiculous price considering 3 compatible batteries would cost around 50 ($83 US).
I've used compatible third party batteries for years in my 400D and never had a problem. In fact I've found them better than Canons own !
I wonder how compatible batteries (and also standard AA batteries) perform in the battery grip ?
You have solved your problem already. The BG-E7 accepts 6 AA Batts. I use 2500 mAh NiMh batts. This is a much lower cost alternative and works at least as well as the uber priced Canon batt.
I paid $20 for 8 NiMh AA batts.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:49 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 62
Default

Does the camera register the charge level with AA batteries in the grip ?
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dickson, Tennessee
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Does the camera register the charge level with AA batteries in the grip ?
Not in a percentage or shutter count. Just an icon. I haven't had an issue with it not giving me a charge level as a percentage.

Last edited by shadokachr; Nov 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:18 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 62
Default

An icon is fine. I take it you're using an original Canon grip ?
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 9:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dickson, Tennessee
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
An icon is fine. I take it you're using an original Canon grip ?
Absolutely! BG-E7
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 5:48 PM   #9
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

Use the Canon batteries.

Having proper power delivery makes a surprising difference to the camera's electronics and can affect your pictures.

How many shots will you get off a set of 6AA NiMh batteries? Maybe 200? With the Canon batteries in the grip it will be over 1000.
__________________
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:09 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Marc H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Use the Canon batteries.

Having proper power delivery makes a surprising difference to the camera's electronics and can affect your pictures.

How many shots will you get off a set of 6AA NiMh batteries? Maybe 200? With the Canon batteries in the grip it will be over 1000.
Just one LP-E6 is good for over 1000 shots, with 2 its over 2000 shots. AA batteries should last about 200/300 shots. AA batteries are not an option imho, not knowing when the power runs out. And replacing the AA's in the holder is a major drag.

Where can you buy these (in)compatibles for 17 pounds? Here in holland replacement batteries are at least twice that.

My opinion: Just get the originals.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:20 AM.