Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:07 PM   #1

Default Low cost battery grip for XSi/XS

I ordered a generic battery grip from amazon.com last week and it arrived today. It is a Jenis J-C450D-S-B which I paid $37.20 for it. It does not come with any batteries. The other generic ones I looked at cost anything from $50 (no battery) to $80 and more with batteries included. I settled for the Jenis since I already have 2 spared LP-E5 batteries and it is the cheapest one I can find. It comes with a Lithium Ion battery magazine and a AA battery magazine. The look/finish on the unit is very good but of course not as good as a factory original,It has all the buttons and switch like the original and it works right out of the box after the batteries are inserted. When it is on the camera, it is hard to tell it is not factory made original until you look at the label on the bottom. I was a little reluctant first because the picture they showed on amazon.com didn't look very good. I am very happy that the actual unit is way better than it looks in the picture.

I have one question for anyone who has a factory original battery grip:
Does the ON/OFF switch on the battery grip actually shut off the power when it is on the OFF position?

It seems kind of odd that when I turn on the camera, it will turn on even with the ON/OFF switch (grip) is on the OFF position. The switch must to turn to the ON position for the button functions to work.

Overall I like this product, I would recommend it!

Last edited by WCKSer; Nov 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:24 AM   #2
NHL

That's the way this switch should work !
-> It only enables the extra buttons on the battery grip in case you don't want to touch them by mistake

On the 1D 'pro' cameras where the battery grip is already built-in it works the same way...

Last edited by NHL; Nov 29, 2009 at 7:26 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the info! It is good to know everything is working correctly on this unit.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:16 PM   #4

I have read that some of the aftermarket ones, sometime skimp on the soldering, behind where the little phillips heads screws are on the battery trays. If the camera does not power up after a battery change. Just open it up and solder the connectors, it is a quick fix.

That is a great price for the grip.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:11 AM   #5

I will keep that in mind and thanks for the advice. So far it is working very well. With this battery, I can keep shooting for a long time without changing battery.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:15 AM   #6

I have a canon grip, with 6 2900 nimh I can shoot all day, and night with out a change. The last time I tried, I was at 700 shot, and it still showed half full. They are good investments.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:31 PM   #7

I actually use 2 generic LP-E5 batteries in it. I am shooting at different mode around the house and made about 200 shoots and the battery indicator still looks full. I especially like the extra buttons on the bottom of the grip, they are handy when I am shooting vertical image. I have not tried to use ni-mh batteries yet.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:58 PM   #8

That grip works on the T1i also