Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Few Canon Rumors

A few rumors for upcoming Canon products for those that like this kind of stuff.
  • Canon EVIL (think micro 4/3) loosely based on their old GIII rangefinder.
  • Some kind of f2.0 zoom lens with a short zoom range, wow!
  • 2000D - 15.1 mp, iso up to 6400, 720p movie, articulating screen
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:21 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Oh wow. I would so love to see a digital rangefinder from Canon.

I would prefer an optical viewfinder instead of electronic, but that is unlikely to happen I'm sure.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:23 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Oh wow. I would so love to see a digital rangefinder from Canon.

I would prefer an optical viewfinder instead of electronic, but that is unlikely to happen I'm sure.
i had a feeling that first bullet would catch your attention craig.

it is said to come from the same source that gave the proper specs on the Ricoh GXR before it was announced.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:32 AM   #4

The rumored Canon MFT camera probably will be an EVIL camera and similar to the Panasonic G-1 and Olympus EP1, but it probably will not have a true 4/3 imager, not the standard MTF lens mount. It seems that Canon does not want to buy into the real MTF standard that is owned by Panasonic and Olympus, as it would take big bucks.

Canon is not taking part in the 2010 PMA show, so if the do burst out with an EVIL camera, it will be at the CES show in January 2010. So look for some pres releases from Canon right after the first of the year, just before the CES show begins.

Sony, Nikon, and even Kodak are said to have designs ready for 2010's PMA show that will, like Canon mimic, but not duplicate exactly the MFT standard. That will allow Kodak and even possibly Nikon to produce fixed lens EVIL cameras.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:03 AM   #5

I think the EVIL products are a mistake. In order to fit dSLR performance into a P&S, you need to remove the mirror box. That means all the existing SLR lenses won't work without an adapter that adds to the bulk that was lost by removing the mirror box. That means that all new lenses must be designed, and as much as Panasonic and Olympus lenses compliment each other's Micro 4/3 bodies, there just aren't enough of them to go around. The Four Thirds website lists only 8 lenses, but 5 bodies! They've put the cart before the horse. If you want to sell cameras with interchangeable lenses, you need to have some lenses users will want to change to. Any single manufacturer that attempts to produce a proprietary EVIL product line will undoubtedly trail behind the Micro 4/3 offerings, and all it will do is lend credibility to the Micro 4/3 products already out there. If Canon, Nikon and/or Sony each release a proprietary EVIL product line, it can only help the existing Micro 4/3 products.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:10 AM   #6

I agree 100%, TCav-

If we see a flock of EVIL cameras in the 1st quarter of 2010, Panasonic and Olympus will be applauding wildly. It will just make their MFT cameras look better.

There sure is a lack of lens choices for the MFT cameras, so much so that legacy lenses with an adapter have become popular.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote