Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 19, 2003, 5:04 PM   #1

Default Lens Advice

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on the following dilemma.

I use a D30 and with my 50mm prime lens most photos are sharp, saturated and look generally good. If, however, i take the same picture with my Canon 28-90 ef USM lens the pictures are flat, unsaturated and visible soft. Is this a common problem with this lens. i got it with the camera. I am now looking to replace it, possibly with a Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5 zoom. Is this lens of higher quality (i know the build quality for one is better!), would the factors above imporve in my images or am i destined to disappointment with all zooms but the 'L' range?!?!

I really need to sort this out. MOst people on the net concur that the 28-90 f4 is bad... anyone used the 28-105 f3.5?
chris_reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:47 PM   #2

I did a search on my favorite lens review site:

http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html

and it confirms that the 28-90 is the WORST lens in ther "normal zoom" catagory. Ouch. I'm sorry you got that one... good luck selling it.

As for the other lens...Its rated... ok. Optically its ok, its AF is fast, it suffers from bad lens flare. It has distortion problems on the short end, and a bit on the long end. It's performance improves when you stop down a bit.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=27

Has 2 very short reviews. Sounds like it doesn't suck, but isn't "good".

Personally, I wouldn't be happy with this lens, but I'm very picky. For others, it could be just fine.

Hope that helps,

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 3:50 AM   #3

Thanks for that!

What lens would you be happy with?

I dont have 'L' lens cash as I'm a student so something reasonable please!!!!

28-135 IS?
chris_reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 5:29 AM   #4

Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR di Model A09 an option ?

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 8:42 AM   #5

The 28-135 is not a bad choice, I have it. I don't use it for really critical/serious work... but when I do use it I like it. NHL likes to point out that IS is basically wasted on a lens of that focal length, and I think he's basically right. Is it bad? No. Is it really useful? Not really. A lower f-stop would be just (if not more) useful.

I believe NHL likes the Sigma AF 28-70mm f/2.8. The lower fstop and constant is a good thing. It's rated fairly highly on the first site. If you poke around in the Canon lens section, you'll probably seen posts from him about a Sigma in that zoom range.

Personally, I look at those two sites I listed and see which are liked well on both (and fit in your price range.) Then I go to the forums on dpreview.com and search around for info about that lens.

The downside for the non Canon lenses is that when you replace your camera body some years later you might have to send the lens back to sigma/tamron and get it altered to work on that camera. Canon doesn't license their communication protocol between camera/lens, so when it changes for a new camera it can prevent older non-Canon lenses from working. Also, non-Canon lenses seem to loose more of their resale value. Both aren't reasons to pass on non-Canon lenses, but it is something to think about.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 9:11 AM   #6
NHL

Quote:
I believe NHL likes the Sigma AF 28-70mm f/2.8. The lower fstop and constant is a good thing. It's rated fairly highly on the first site. If you poke around in the Canon lens section, you'll probably seen posts from him about a Sigma in that zoom range.
Almost it's actually a Tamron and I have friends using that same lens on Nikon camera for portrait work as well!
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=tamron

But the above Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR, as suggested by Frank is actually more affordable and really compact for cropped dSLRs... I'll get f/2.8 over IS anyday (remember the principal idea of shallow DOF and why one would want a dSLR in the 1st place?) :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote