Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:13 PM   #11

Just went through my t1i camera bag, and look at the odds and ends. And these are what I consider essential.

a clean kit with plenty of lens paper

The wired shutter release is a good thing to have when shooting on a tripod, so that you do not induce shake.

A ir remote for self photos with the tripod

A gorillapod for dslr zoom my small travel tripod

spear batteries

hoods for all my lenses

C-PL I use simple tiffen glass ones, it is allot easier to clean then multi-coated. No special care needed. I am not spending 200 buck to the tiffen HT to have the same convenience of simple cleaning on a multicoated filter.

Those would be all I consider essential in my bag. All other stuff is fluff.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavsmompa2 View Post
Also for the future I am considering a 50mm prime for portraits. Right now, the 1.4 is looking good although more expensive than the 1.8 II.
The 1.4 is a very nice lens. I picked up the 1.8 a few years ago and while it is a really great value, I've always been somewhat disappointed with the bokeh I get with it.
RobertDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:44 PM   #13

I have the 1.8 II and I get some a good amount of bokeh still and I got it back in 92. I think the plastic fantastic is really a great lens for what it is and you can not beat the price point on it. What kind of bokeh issue are you getting if you don't mind me asking?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:20 PM   #14

Here is a photo I just snapped with the 50mm f1.8 II, I to convert it from 4027x3168 to 604x403. But there is allot of bokuh in the photo.
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:31 PM   #15
Super Moderator

just to be clear. Bokeh is a qualitative statement that describes the aesthetic qualities of the out of focus areas. it is a subjective qualifier as well as there is no way to quantitatively put a value on bokeh that says its good or bad. it is impacted by many things including the "roundness" of the aperture, so more aperture blades equates to a more round aperture. therefore your out of focus highlights are more round, usually considered more pleasing, it also impacts the general smoothness.

so when you say there is alot of bokeh, that is not quite right. you can say there is shallow depth of field resulting in alot of out of focus areas. then you would qualify the appearance of those out of focus areas with bokeh.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:49 PM   #16

Very true, thanks for correction on the technical term.

The picture was taken in indoor by a window with overcast sky's no flash or internal lighten. I had a tiffen haze-1 filter that warm the shot up a bit. No editing of any sort but file reduction for the board. The lens was set to 1.8.

For my eye the pic is quite pleasing and the blur background is quite rounded. The fur adds allot of detail for the lens to handle.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:41 PM   #17

I keep reading that the 50mm 1.4 is a much more solid build than the 50 1.8. My main interest is image quality. Is the 1.4 that much better to justify spending a couple extra hundred dollars on it? Also, in terms of a walk around lens, what is best? I have young children so switching out lenses constantly is not ideal. I know you keep saying that a zoom lens like (ex 18-200mm) has its conveniences but suffers in many respects. Any recommendations?
gavsmompa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:53 PM   #18

gavsmompa2,

The 1.8 I took of the my pet is 18 years old, I only had to service once because I got a bit of dust in it, nothing mechanical. So even though it is plastic, it has held up quite well over the years, and still shoot great on my new t1i. Is it worth spend the couple of hundred on the 1.4 is really up to the shoot eye. For me, I like the results of the 1.8 so for me it is not worth the cost.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:01 PM   #19

The stock kit lens 18-55mm is a good walk around lens, it is light weight and do zoom a bit when needed and it is pretty sharp. I have an ef 28-135mm but that adds allot more weight to the camera, and my wife does not find it ideal for a walk around lens. But again it is up to the shooter what they consider a good walk around lens, I was walking around manhattan on friday where it was 20 degrees, and some shooter were walking around with 28-300mm L lens around their neck.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:02 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavsmompa2 View Post
I keep reading that the 50mm 1.4 is a much more solid build than the 50 1.8. My main interest is image quality. Is the 1.4 that much better to justify spending a couple extra hundred dollars on it? Also, in terms of a walk around lens, what is best? I have young children so switching out lenses constantly is not ideal. I know you keep saying that a zoom lens like (ex 18-200mm) has its conveniences but suffers in many respects. Any recommendations?
well a 50mm prime will not serve as a good walk-around lens. for that you want a nice zoom lens. i keep going back to it, but the kit lens is a good place to start, the optics are good and the range is pretty convenient.

shoot it for a while, then you will have a better idea of what you need. better than rushing out and buying something that you find you don't even use much.

if you really don't like the kit lens, then you can move up to a better normal zoom if you like. a fast normal like the tamron 17-50 2.8 or sigma 18-50 2.8 gives you a faster max aperture for blurring background, capturing action, etc. or you can increase you range by going up to something like the 15-85 is (but this will cost you). the older 17-85 is is going for pretty cheap right now, its not really known to be the best optics out there, but it does just fine for a walkaround and increases your range over the kit lens. canon's new 18-135 isn't that great optically either, but its convenient, albeit overpriced imo.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote