Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:26 PM   #1

Default Essential accessries for T1i

New dSLR owner here. I got the basic kit w/ 18-55mm. What else do I need right away? What would be nice to have relatively soon? The main things I photograph are my young kids (infant and 6yo) and vacations. I keep reading that the kit lens is just ok. Would the 18-55 2.8 lens be a good replacement? Also for the future I am considering a 50mm prime for portraits. Right now, the 1.4 is looking good although more expensive than the 1.8 II. My son is into baseball too so I would probably be looking to by a good telephoto lens in the spring. I keep reading good things about the 70-200 f4? How does that compare to the 70-300 IS? If I was to get one lens as a walk around lens, what should I get? I should add that I am not brand new to photography. I have always been interested in it. Have always owned P&S and just got so frustrated with them that I decided to pull the trigger.
gavsmompa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the first accessory i would suggest for you is a good external flash, as i am sure much of your photography for young kids, especially in the winter, will be indoors. i suggest the Canon 430EX II, good flash at a good price. Your kit lens will do just fine for indoor shots with flash, and is really a quite sharp lens. Many people that say negative things about the kit lens either 1) don't know how to use it properly or 2) get caught up in the build quality that leaks over to their impressions of the optics.

Once you get more familiar with your DSLR and use it more, you will have a better idea what you are looking for in a 2nd lens.

As for your baseball for the spring, I am sure John or some of the other sports shooters will weigh in with some suggestions, and hints that can help you come spring.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:53 PM   #3

I would get a lens hood first before anything since the camera kit doesn't include one. I kind of like the battery grip I got for my XSi which improves the handling a great deal even it adds a little weight to the camera. An external flash like the 430EX II is also a good addition. It beats the built-in flash by a mile. It is an a-must for indoor shooting. You also need a good carrying case to hold all the new equipments. I am thinking about getting a Canon backpack carrying bag from amazon.com for about $40.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:32 AM   #4

The Canon 18-55 kit lens is one of the best kit lenses available, and while the 17-55/2.8 IS USM would be an excellent replacement, it should be for its price. It would also let you shoot indoors with available light, so you wouldn't need a flash.

50mm isn't really long enough for 'head & shoulders' portraits, though it is excellent for environmental portraits and couples portraits. The f/1.4 is a better lens, but not by much, and that's a lot of money to pay for 2/3 f-stop.

The 70-200/4 and the 70-300 IS are both very good lenses, but for baseball, the 70-200 isn't very long. From the dugouts, the 70-300 can cover the entire infield. From the stands, you'll need something even longer.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:07 PM   #5

The 70-200mm f4 L is a better lens then the 70-300mm IS, but it is even more expensive. Just remember these two lenses relatively heavy. The EF-S 55-250 is more travel friendly. Take a look at this blog site, there is a lens topic, it is pretty informative. http://canont1i.blogspot.com/

The plastic fantastic 50mm f1.8 is a very good lens, I had from form an old film eos from 15 years ago, and it take great photos with my T1I. It is not to expensive which is a plus, and you get some great shots with great bokeh effect.

I got a Metz 48 AF-1 flash, it work great with my T1I. It a little less expensive then the canon 430EX II. I like that the bounce card and defuser is built in, as I am forgetful, and have miss shots because I left them in my bag.

But I second the lens hood's, they do more for the shot then filters.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 9, 2009 at 8:49 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:35 PM   #6

Thank you for all the suggestions. Regarding the lens hood, is it preferable to go with a Canon one or will a third party lens hood do the trick? If so, any recommendations in terms of brand? I've been reading some reviews on Amazon and they all claim that it is a tight fit, including the Canon lens hood.
gavsmompa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:03 PM   #7

I got mine of of ebay. they work just fine for 6 dollars and fit is perfect. canon ones are about 40 bucks. Just type in the exact canon model number on ebay, and get it form a seller form Hong Kong or the US. No problems with them what so ever.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 13, 2009 at 3:07 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:03 AM   #8

Just got the Canon T1I and loving it. Am a novice to SLR and new to the forum. Greetings to you all.
Stanjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:07 AM   #9

Welcome Stanjeff

The t1i is a very good camera. You may want to check out this site www.dslrtips.com they have some good youtube workshops for dslr owners.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 13, 2009 at 3:09 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:23 AM   #10

A nice accessory for the T1i is a battery grip. WCKSer posted a post of a low price grip for the XSi and XS. The T1i uses the same grip the bg-e5.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...ip-xsi-xs.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 13, 2009 at 3:30 AM.