Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:04 PM   #1

Default Question about remote for XSI

I just picked up a universal remote, but I do notice that it works when I point it and shoot from front of the camera, but wondering two things...

1) Is there anyway to delay the shoot? It shoots right away, and makes it obvious that I am shooting it with the remote...

2) Is there anyway to take a picture from behind the camera? I want to do HDR's and make sure pictures are steady, but I have to be in front of the camera to take it. I noticed I could take it from the side, slighty back so I am out of the shot, but want to be behind it.. Any kind of mirrors to allow the remote signal to hit the mirror then sensor?
L]
------------------------------------------------
xJoey Dubsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:44 PM   #2

I know with the canon remote, I can choose to snap when I push the button or to delay it for couple of second.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:58 PM   #3

Depending on the remote you have, some remote has 2 buttons plus more like the RC-4 by Opteka which I bought from Amazon.com for $12.50. It has 5 buttons. The top 2 buttons marked "S" and "2S" are for Canon DSLR like the XSi. If you press "S", the camera will fire right away and "2S" button has the time delay like the self timer on the camera. The other 3 buttons are for Canon point & shoot cameras. The remote works rather well and you do have to point to the sensor on the right side of the camera. The remote combines the functions of the Canon made RC-1 and RC-5 into one single remote.

There is another kind of remote, Canon RS-60E3 with a 2 ft. long cord for pressing the shutter button half way or completely. This may be the one you want as stated on you posting.

I have seen one which has timer function which can be set from 1sec to 100 hour for $60. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Remote-...0647516&sr=8-6
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:01 PM   #4
Administrator

Use a Wireless Shutter release that makes us of RF versus IR (so that you don't have to worry about pointing the remote towards the receiver).

Here's an example of one from a reputable Hong Kong based vendor:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...cat=285&page=1
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:15 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
...Is there anyway to delay the shoot? It shoots right away, and makes it obvious that I am shooting it with the remote...
Set your camera to one of the Self Timer Drive modes like 2 second delay, 10 second delay or 10 second with 2 to 10 photos continuously.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Depending on the remote you have, some remote has 2 buttons plus more like the RC-4 by Opteka which I bought from Amazon.com for $12.50. It has 5 buttons. The top 2 buttons marked "S" and "2S" are for Canon DSLR like the XSi. If you press "S", the camera will fire right away and "2S" button has the time delay like the self timer on the camera. The other 3 buttons are for Canon point & shoot cameras. The remote works rather well and you do have to point to the sensor on the right side of the camera. The remote combines the functions of the Canon made RC-1 and RC-5 into one single remote.

There is another kind of remote, Canon RS-60E3 with a 2 ft. long cord for pressing the shutter button half way or completely. This may be the one you want as stated on you posting.

I have seen one which has timer function which can be set from 1sec to 100 hour for $60. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Remote-...0647516&sr=8-6
I have the same one as you do basically, $5 from I forget where and hell, it works dude! Love it! Thanks!!
L]
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Use a Wireless Shutter release that makes us of RF versus IR (so that you don't have to worry about pointing the remote towards the receiver).

The 2S button solves my problem, but thanks.
L]
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

Yeah, wireless is where it's at. Used a wired remote for years until I got that cactus, but I really wasn't happy with the build quality. Ended up getting a pictosnap which has worked out really well for me.
RobertDavis is offline   Reply With Quote