Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:12 PM   #11

Default Compact flash error

Yesterday I called Dvnation to inform them of my card write errors. I spoke to Jason who asked me to email him with the detail about my problem and he would get back to me asap. This morning I had email back asking me to send him the card with printed copy of his email to me and he would send me a replacement. Fair enough and certainly quick to respond. After thinking about this problem it occurred to me that had I not tried to copy a large number of files to the card at one time, I might not have run into the write problem for weeks or maybe months by just using it in the camera. This speaks well for completely filling up any card you buy before ever using it in your camera. In this way, you are testing for bad spots that may not show up for a long time or even after the warranty expired.
dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:32 PM   #12

Default Compact Flash Card

This is follow up to my previous post regarding sending my Gmonster Photofast card back to DVNation. I received a new card from them two days ago and first thing I did was what I had previously tried; a mass write to the card from my pc. I got the same problem. I then tried the mass write to my old Sandisk card which I had previously done without a problem. This time I did get write errors the same as with the Gmonster card. I now suspect that there is nothing wrong with the card and probably was nothing wrong with the first one they sent me. I have a feeling that the Sandisk Card reader I am using is the culprit. It is marketed as a reader and I suspect it is not usable as a writer. Sandisk however assured me that is could handle Udma cards even though it was manufactured before Udma was developed. I will just test the card by using it in my 7D and filling it up. I am confident I will have no problems. As for DVnation, they responded to my request for a replacement in a timely matter and I would recommend them as a reputable supplier. Sandisk also was very helpful in a chat session I had with them about this problem. The tech rep spent at least an hour with me trying to resolve the problem I had. I think I will buy a new Sandisk card reader to replace my six year old one as this might work better.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:21 AM   #13

dlearyfun,

I use to swear by the Sandisk card readers, however I recently (within the last year I think) picked up a Sony model which has worked flawless for me. I use my card reader more than most, with every type of popular media used currently. This reader is fast, and accepts more media types than the best Sandisk model that Staples had at the time. It was also cheaper by $5-10, and it matches my monitor better

This is the model I have: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HU2CCC/...vesdigicams-20

Good luck, and enjoy that 7D. I'm hoping to get mine in the near future.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:54 PM   #14

Default Compact flash card

Thanks for the suggestion of the Sony card reader Billy, I will check that out.