Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Compact flash suggestion for 7D

I just recently received my new 7D and am really impressed so far. My previous dslr is a 10D which I still have. My 10D has a Sandisk ultra II 1gb card which I tried out in the new 7D. Aside from the fact that the 7D files are about 3x larger, the 7D also writes much faster and also does video. Since I have not bought any memory cards since I bought my 10D in 2004, I have no idea what I should get for the new toy. I do think that I would not want anything larger than 8 gb as I really doubt that I would ever exceed that capacity in one day since I never did with the 10D. I am concerned about buying a card that cannot keep up with the camera if I were to hit the 8 fps that the camera is capable of. In fact, at 8 fps and 25mb file size that equates to having to write 200 mb per sec? I have found no card that approaches that speed? Any suggestions?

Last edited by dlearyfun; Dec 17, 2009 at 12:43 AM.
dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Glad you are liking the 7D. I shoot with the 5D mkII and 1D mkIII so have high speed and video needs and found that Sandisk Extreme III cards do great (all my cards both CF and SD are Extreme IIIs as I've never had an issue with them).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:51 PM   #3

If you wait couple of months, you will start to see the 600x cards come out. But they will be pricey. They are also going to be 400x cards also.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:50 AM   #4

my bad the 600x cards are out, ouch they are expensive
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-32GB-E.../dp/B002PWYG74
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TBDP3C9B1R60MP

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 17, 2009 at 12:56 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:18 AM   #5
Administrator

If you want the fastest, I'd look at the Photofast G-Monster 533x Plus Cards (note that the non plus version is slower). A Photofast 533x Plus is the fastest card I've seen tested in a Canon model so far. See Rob Galbraith's tests here (he clocked write speed from a 5D Mark II at over 45MB/Second using a Photofast G-Monster 16GB 533x Plus card):

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10043-10255

You can find them here:

http://www.dvnation.com/Flash-Media-Cards.html

It looks like the 16GB 533x Plus that Rob used in the 5D Mark II is selling for $144 now. I haven't seen any tests of one in a 7D yet.

It looks like the Transcend 600x Cards were the next fastest in that camera, clocking in at around 42 and 43MB/Second with their 8GB and 16GB 600x cards. The Sandisk Extreme Pro cards were almost as fast as the Transcend 600x cards (the new Sandisk cards clocked at approx. 41MB/Second in a 5D Mark II). But, the Photofast G-Monster 533x Plus cards were fastest in it at over 45MB/Second. The new Sandisk cards look they tested faster in some card readers (but, not as fast as some of the other cards in a newer Canon camera).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:14 PM   #6

Default Compact Flash

Well I visited Fred Mirandas site and was sold on the Photofast G-Monster 533x Plus 8 GB card so I ordered one. Received it several days ago. Formatted it and now just waiting to try it out. I will report back on how it performs after I get a chance to use it for awhile.
Thanks to all of you for your feedback. Much appreciated.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:30 PM   #7
Administrator

Super. It should be *very* fast in a 7D. I missed a newer article they have online about the latest Lexar 600x cards that actually tested newer cards in a 7D. The Photofast 8GB 533x Plus card clocks at 51.2 MB/Second in a 7D. That's amazing.

The newer 600x Lexar cards are slightly faster (but, not by much, with one allowing write speeds of 52.9MB/Second in a 7D). Of course, they cost a lot more, too. :-)

Scroll down on this page and you'll see the results:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10044-10297
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:54 PM   #8
Administrator

P.S.

If you read through the text there, Rob was able to capture 57 photos shooting raw + jpeg in 30 seconds with a Photofast 8GB 533x Plus card. The new Lexar 16GB 600x card was able to capture 58 photos in the same time frame. IOW, the difference is negligible. If you move up to the 16GB 533x Plus card, it was able to capture 58 photos shooting raw + jpeg in the same 30 seconds (matching the Lexar).

Right this minute, the 7D tests using those cards show the fastest write speeds I've ever seen from any camera model (> 50MB/Second).
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:10 AM   #9

Default compact flash

Well I have had some time to evaluate my new ultra fast card and seem to have a problem. Although I have not had any problem when using the card in my new 7D, I have been getting write errors when trying to write to the card from my computer. The maximum # of pictures I have taken at any one time with the camera is approx 25 to 30 and then I download them to my pc and then format the card in the camera. No problem doing this so far. This is an 8 gig card, so I am using only a very small part of the card. However, I also have a dvr connected to one of my tv's and using the card to transfer many pics from my pc to the dvr has resulted in write errors when writing to the card from my laptop. Today, I tried to write about 500 pictures (approx 800MB) to the card from my laptop and kept getting write errors. After 3 tries, I decided to try writing instead to my old 1GB Sandisk ultra card and had no problem. It appears that there is some problem somewhere on the card. I will be calling DVNATION tomorrow and talk to them about this problem. Will keep you all posted.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:19 AM   #10

You dvr may not support the UDMA format that the high speed card use. It will be the same for the next gen of sdxc card. Current card reader will not be able to work properly with it giving you a error message.