Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 17, 2009, 3:25 PM   #1

Default Eos 30D Still any good as a used buy?

Hi folks.

I have just sold my long serving Minolta 5d and have picked up a very clean low use Canon EOS 30D body only. My questions are is it still any good or should i have bought a 1000d instead? I paid 290 for the body and also picked up a Canon 18-55mm IS lens for 50. The body is boxed, mint, still got the cover on the screen etc and has taken 2900 shots. My worry is two things:
Firstly can i use the lens i've just bought and how does it compare to the 1000d that i could have bought for 100 more? I'm a little worried about the 30D because i had a 300D years ago and found it's colour and exposure all over the place, i could get good shots but had to go round the houses to get one.
It was also poor with the built in flash when used indoors.
Any help or user opinions/comparisons would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited by mandwa; Dec 17, 2009 at 3:27 PM.
mandwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:29 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The 30d was a great camera in its day. It is a heck of a lot better camera than the old 300d was. You should not experience exposure or color problems. The built-in flash for all dslrs are not wonderful, so if you really care about indoor flash shots, an external flash is really necessary. And yes, your 18-55IS lens will do just fine on a 300d. 2900 actuations is not too much and it sounds like its in good shape.

The 1000d is a much newer camera and has a newer sensor with more resolution and a new image processor. As far as image quality goes, the new 1000d will do better than the aging 30d. However, the 30d offers much better build quality.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:42 PM   #3

Hay thanks.

I did Handle the 1000d before i purchased the 30d and didn't really like it although i take your point about the image quality. I also like the 30d's spot metering which is not on the 1000d. I'd also like to by a canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens, will that work on the 30D?

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Yea, the 50 1.8 will work just fine on the 30d. the 30d is still a capable imager, so if you prefer the body, then by all means, enjoy.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:48 PM   #5

Cool, should be hear tomorrow, i'll post back when i've used it.

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:06 PM   #6
Super Moderator

When I switched from my KM5D I went to the Canon 30D and still have it as one of my backup options. You will love the 50mm f1.8 on it as makes for a nice portrait/short tele lens.

If it only has 2900 actuations then that is very low indeed so should be in good nick.

Let us know how you get on.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:24 PM   #7

Hi guys.

Just a quick update. The 30D arrived today and it is in amazing condition, not a mark on it and no signs of wear whatsoever! It's not been rubbed shiny anywhere or anything. First impressions are good, not had chance to take any pics as such as the weather is LOUSY but i have taken a few indoor flash shots and they are well exposed and sharp if a little "Cool"in colour. I love the feel of it am i am getting used to the menu system although i prefer the info being shown on the back panel like the lower Canon models rather than just on the top display. It feels solid and is very fast, picked up a used 50mm lens for 50 and the IS 18-55mm arrived this morning. I also took a couple of indoor shots with a pal's 28-135mm canon lens and the images were noticeably sharper.
The only gripe i've got is that i keep having to make sure the back panel is off before i can change the settings such as ISO and metering etc from the top panel and i also miss direct button access to WB and ISO etc. All in all very pleased and so far i'm glad i didn't buy a 1000d. All i need now is some decent weather to try it!
Old Dec 19, 2009, 4:36 PM   #8

One more think folks, Is the Canon EF 35-135mm 1:4-5.6 USM ULTRASONIC Zoom Lens any good? I have been offered one by the same guy who sold me the camera for around 70, what do you reckon?

Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 7:15 PM   #9
Super Moderator

It is an oooooold lens. The last ones were made in 1997 so best case it is 12 years old. From the limited information I have been able to find it was an OK performer, potentially sharper than the kit lens, however for a drop body it is an uncomfortable range being the equivalent of 56-216mm. Looking at eBay the price is about right so if you want something to give you some extra reach it will do the job but personally I would look at other options to put my money towards.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:40 PM   #10

A buddy has a Canon 30D. It puts paid to the view that megapixels are everything. It has only 8.2 MPs..but the pix are excellent and I say competitive with new cameras in the class.

Great camera...congrats on getting one. I thought long and hard about getting a Canon 30D, before I bought my Pentax K10D.

I would not hesitate to have one of these fine cameras.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote