Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 31, 2010, 3:16 AM   #11

Quote:
You are right and you are wrong.

The 40d offers better controls, more features, and a better body.

but, it does not offer better image quality. actually, the XSi/450D has a better sensor with more resolution and more per-pixel sharpness and up to its limit of iso1600 handles noise equally well.
Why not the newer 550. Costs a little more than any used 40D. Image quality is definitely better than the XSi and the detail the camera captuers is definitely amazing. Has video capability and a better metering system.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 5:05 PM   #12

It depends what you are shooting. I was going to get the 550D but ultimately went with the 50D because it was far more comfortable to hold and to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty
I do know that my 40D is producing much cleaner images than a friends 50D
Now this surprises me - do you mean your pictures are cleaner than his, or you take pictures with both cameras/same lens and then compare them?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi View Post
It depends what you are shooting. I was going to get the 550D but ultimately went with the 50D because it was far more comfortable to hold and to use.

Now this surprises me - do you mean your pictures are cleaner than his, or you take pictures with both cameras/same lens and then compare them?
both cameras with the same lens, 70-200 F4 IS, same conditions, 50D seems to have slightly more noise but overall both cameras are great
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:58 PM   #14

Quote:
both cameras with the same lens, 70-200 F4 IS, same conditions, 50D seems to have slightly more noise but overall both cameras are great
I suppose this is the compromise of increasing the resolution by 50% - more noise/less clarity and slightly lower fps. I used to have a Nikno D90 and find the Canon 50D to be significantly better at high ISO, despite the lower resolution of the Nikon. The 50D is indeed a great camera though.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi View Post
I suppose this is the compromise of increasing the resolution by 50% - more noise/less clarity and slightly lower fps. I used to have a Nikno D90 and find the Canon 50D to be significantly better at high ISO, despite the lower resolution of the Nikon. The 50D is indeed a great camera though.
How many megapixel is the 50D again? I did not think there was a 50% increase, but you are probably right. I see little difference image wise between the 30D (I have one as a back up) and the 40D but the 40D is a nicer camera to use, noise wise the 40D seems a tad better than the 30D at really high ISOs. The 40D at ISO 640 seems as good or even better than the 30D at ISO 400. The 40D also seems to have different color, for some reason I notice the reds look different. The 50D color seems more similar to my 30D. All three cameras from what Ive seen are great though and I would not hesitate to recommend any of them
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:44 PM   #16

The 50D has a 15 megapixel sensor which is a massive increase in resolution for the same size of sensor, although not as crazy as the 18 megapixels of the 7D.