Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1

Default 450D or 40D ?

Hesitating between buying a new 450D or a used 40D ( 7000 clikx)

Same price
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:32 PM   #2

xsi if size is an issue or you aren't sure of the credibility of the seller of the 40d. Otherwise the 40d is the better camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

will you have the chance to check out the 40d in person?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermovilas View Post
Hesitating between buying a new 450D or a used 40D ( 7000 clikx)

Same price
i shoot with a 40D at present and have used a 450D in the past. there's really no contest... the 40D is a much better camera --- control is much easier, if you have large hands it is more comfortable, and i really think that the image quality is far superior, even shooting with the same lenses.

the pros of 450D though are: simplicity if you're a noob, light weight, cheaper (if both are new).

my suggestion would be to go for the 40D --- but if it's really too much camera for you and you don't mind used bodies, why not snag yourself an excellent deal on a used 450D and then put the left over $$$ towards some good glass?
chrisreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:10 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreddy View Post
i shoot with a 40D at present and have used a 450D in the past. there's really no contest... the 40D is a much better camera --- control is much easier, if you have large hands it is more comfortable, and i really think that the image quality is far superior, even shooting with the same lenses.
You are right and you are wrong.

The 40d offers better controls, more features, and a better body.

but, it does not offer better image quality. actually, the XSi/450D has a better sensor with more resolution and more per-pixel sharpness and up to its limit of iso1600 handles noise equally well.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:43 AM   #6

Hi all,
I am also in the same dilemma, found a used 30d (2 years old, 15k shutter actuations) or want to go for xsi. can anybody help me to decide the right one for me.
deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:13 AM   #7

I used a Canon 30D for a few years, and it's a great camera. Very sturdy, great image quality, did everything I asked of it and more, and never let me down. But if I were in your shoes, a new XSi would be pretty tempting compared to a used 30D, too.

I would say that if you don't know that much about the previous owner(s) or history of the 30D, and it looks beat up, then unless there's some sort of extended warranty attached, I would go for a new XSi.

On the other hand, if you expect that your camera might be in environments where it'll take a bit of a beating, and the 30D looks pristine and shoots well, I would go for the 30D.

15k shutter actuations isn't bad for a 30D. The shutter is supposed to be rated for 100k actuations and Canon states this in the product literature. Canon doesn't say anything about rated shutter life for the XSi, however. It might be the same, or it might not, though if it breaks within a year into ownership then they'll definitely fix it.

What current media do you have? The 30D takes CF cards, while the XSi takes SD and SDHC cards. SO if you have a ton of one or the other, you might want to factor that into your decision too.

And lastly, the 30D is a bigger and heftier camera than the XSi, so take that into consideration. If you have big hands, the XSi is going to feel small and cramped. Small hands, and the 30D is going to feel heavy and unwieldy.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Apr 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM.
scaredpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:18 AM   #8

i could be wrong here, but i recall seeing XSi rated at 100,000 actuations on various forums and sites
ronin2307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:51 AM   #9

I would go with the 450D, not to keen to used body. To many things that can go wrong.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:45 AM   #10

Id get the 40D if it was me, I have one and although I dont know much about the 450D I do know that my 40D is producing much cleaner images than a friends 50D, less noise etc and faster FPSl and is an awesome camera
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote