Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:49 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Thinking or trading in the 1D mkIII for a 7D

As many of you will have noticed, my shooting in recent years has moved away from majority sports to more wedding, portrait and general shooting.

I'm thinking of switching the 1D mkIII to the 7D as I believe it will be a better backup camera and still do sports when needed.

For those who don't know what else I shoot with apart from the 1D mkIII, I have a 5D mkII, 5D 30D and 500D/T1i.

What are your thoughts?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2009, 4:02 PM   #2

The 7D is nice camera, it will be lighter then the 1dmk3, you will have full HD in yout whole lineup, and a higher resolution. It will be worth the trade up.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i think based on your current shooting situations. the 7d would serve as a lighter second body when you shoot weddings and such. but when you do go to shoot sports, it should serve that purpose admirably. and give you nice crop factor reach on your tele's if you shoot some wildlife, etc.

seems a logical move considering your circumstances.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I think it actually comes in slightly heavier than the mkIII as I always use a battery grip, even on the 500D.

The 7D will help with different batteries/chargers as it uses the same as my 5D mkII.

As I look at the DxO labs reports on the 7D against 1D mkIII I worry that the overall image performance is slightly down, but then makes up in other ways with the higher resolution.

The jury is still out currently.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:37 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I think you'd be crazy to. The 1D is still the current (for a few weeks) best action camera that Canon make, far more durable than the 7D. Keep it till it dies.

Unless you're looking for a new toy just for the sake of it, but if so, then why not trade in everything except your 5D2 on a 1DMkIV? Surely you don't need more than the two bodies? (Particularly if one is a 1-series). Each could serve as backup for the other depending on the circumstances.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:48 AM   #6

Ok, first of all you posted this in the wrong forum. We expect better from you Mark .

Seriously, I'm with Craig on this. I don't see the 7D being a better fit. The battery argument is kind of lame since the batter on the 1d is SOOO much better anyway.

But, in the end, we all know this is really just about you jonesing for a new toy. If you admit to yourself that's what it really is about then there's nothing wrong with buying a 7d. And, given the little sports you do now, from the reports I'm seeing from sports shooters the 7d is quite capable.

But, you have to ask yourself- if you do it, what are you going to do in another month when the mkIV is available and you're trying to justify THAT. Given your penchant for new toys I might suggest selling off all your bodies but the 5dII and buying the new mkIV when it comes out. Sure, you don't need it. But you know you'll want it
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:06 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Ok, first of all you posted this in the wrong forum. We expect better from you Mark .

Seriously, I'm with Craig on this. I don't see the 7D being a better fit. The battery argument is kind of lame since the batter on the 1d is SOOO much better anyway.

But, in the end, we all know this is really just about you jonesing for a new toy. If you admit to yourself that's what it really is about then there's nothing wrong with buying a 7d. And, given the little sports you do now, from the reports I'm seeing from sports shooters the 7d is quite capable.

But, you have to ask yourself- if you do it, what are you going to do in another month when the mkIV is available and you're trying to justify THAT. Given your penchant for new toys I might suggest selling off all your bodies but the 5dII and buying the new mkIV when it comes out. Sure, you don't need it. But you know you'll want it
The thread has duly been moved..... oops.

I'm never going to be able to get the mkIV as I'm getting married in about 6 months, we all know that I like new toys and I am shooting quite a bit of video so having a backup that does it would be good.... I know I have the 500D but this is likely to be my fiance's camera and doesn't offer full HD or external mic.

John, where is the best place to see the results that people are getting with the 7D in the sports arena?

And yes I won't lie, I like toys, that's never been in dispute.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:03 AM   #8

Mark,

If you do a search on the message board at www.sportsshooter.com you'll see a number of threads. Do some looking in there and you'll see some results - including some people using it as backup to a 1-series. DP Review has a number of users with the camera but it's tough to find posts with actual photos and even tougher to find threads from people that are actually accomplished sports photographers.

I can say the general consensus seems to be the 7D focus performance is better than 50d but still not at the 1-series level. There does seem to be a bit of debate about image quality though among non sports shooters.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:17 AM   #9

also - if you do a search in the sports forum of Fred Miranda you'll find some posts. Not a friendly place over there but there are a LOT of sports photogs posting photos there.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:30 PM   #10
Super Moderator

The 7D is a cross-grade from the 1DMkIII, a step down in most respects and probably only a step up regarding resolution and video.

I would think you wouldn't need to spend a huge amount extra if you traded in your MkIII, 5D and 30D on a MkIV. Give Jacobs a call and see how much they'll give you for those 3 on the new price of a MkIV. Plus you could probably get rid of a couple of lenses too and end up in a better place than you are now.