Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Default Eos 1000d cannot format memory card

I searched the forum, but couldn't find an answer to my issue. Please forgive me if this has been discussed earlier.

I have a 1000D/Rebel XS that doesn't recognize any memory cards. I put in a card, the camera says the card isn't formatted. I go to format the card, and it says "Cannot format. Change card". I did this with three different SD cards, all different capacities and manufacturers. Same result each time. Each card works in my powershot a610, so it isn't the cards. I have power cycled the camera several times and have shot compressed air into the memory card slot.

This camera was a gift to me last Christmas, so it's out of warranty by a few days/weeks. It was purchased at Wolf Camera.

Any suggestions? Canon tech support wasn't much help and want me to send it in, but wouldn't quote me a price to fix the issue.

Thanks for your help!

Tim
pilottim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

have you tried a new card? how about the small capacity one that came with the 1000d?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:04 AM   #3

Try format a SD card with a memory card reader to see if will work in your XS. Make sure it is done with fat32.

Last edited by WCKSer; Dec 23, 2009 at 2:05 AM. Reason: spelling
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:19 AM   #4

I have tried a new 1 GB card. I formatted all the cards (1GB, 2GB, and 4GB) I have tired with my memory card reader using FAT and then FAT32, none of these worked.

I'm hoping not to send the camera to Canon for repair, but it's looking like that's going to be my only option.

Thanks for the advice!

Tim
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:45 AM   #5
Administrator

Try this software using a card reader. It will work for non Panasonic SD and SDHC cards. You'll see a download link at the bottom of the page:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

After it runs, make sure to use the Eject feature you'll find if you right click on the drive associated with the card under "My Computer" (to make sure any writes cached in memory have been written to the card before removing it).

That should rule out that something else is causing a compatibility quirk (the way one camera handled formatting the card versus another one).

If it still won't work with multiple cards (and I'd insert and remove cards more than once to make sure you don't have a bit of oxidation causing a connection issue, since the friction of inserting and removing them would help to clean them), I'd send it back to Canon.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:30 AM   #6

Thanks, Jim. I tried the Panasonic formatting program, but that didn't work either. I am going to send to Canon for repair.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Try this software using a card reader. It will work for non Panasonic SD and SDHC cards. You'll see a download link at the bottom of the page:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

After it runs, make sure to use the Eject feature you'll find if you right click on the drive associated with the card under "My Computer" (to make sure any writes cached in memory have been written to the card before removing it).

That should rule out that something else is causing a compatibility quirk (the way one camera handled formatting the card versus another one).

If it still won't work with multiple cards (and I'd insert and remove cards more than once to make sure you don't have a bit of oxidation causing a connection issue, since the friction of inserting and removing them would help to clean them), I'd send it back to Canon.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Administrator

Hmmm...

Just for giggles, you may want to try using all dials, switches and buttons on it; as well as remount your lens.... just in case there's some kind of electrical quirk causing the issue (switch in between positions or not making a good connection, a bit of oxidation under their contacts, etc.). If you've got another battery, you may want to try it, too.

I'd also try the "Clear Settings" menu choice, just to make sure some kind of firmware quirk with a settings combo isn't impacting it.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:49 AM   #8

I tried messing with all the dials/buttons/switches, and nothing. I even reset it using the clear settings and the remove battery, cycle on/off trick. Nothing works. I'm going to send it in to Canon. The camera was a gift last Christmas (2008), just hoping they'll make it a warranty repair.

Thanks for your advice.

Tim

Last edited by pilottim; Jan 7, 2010 at 8:49 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:33 AM   #9

Thanks again for your advice everyone. I sent the camera to Canon and they agreed to make this a warranty repair. The issue was a broken circuit board making a memory card format impossible.

Canon was quick to turn it around, about 10 days.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Administrator

Great. I'm glad to hear they solved it for you.