Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:36 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 11
Default Flash usage suggestions

I have the T1i with the 430EX ii. If not using Full Auto mode what is the best mode for shooting flash shots indoors?

I messed up the Christmas pics this year. I only recently got my T1i and did not have any time to practice with the flash. I took all my Christmas pics in Av mode using bounce off a white ceiling and they all seemed overexposed and somewhat yellow. I had the white balance set to flash. The flash itself was set up with factory defaults as I did not adjust anything on the flash. ISO was 800.

Today I took pics of my granddaughter who couldn't make it on Christmas and came today. Same setup with same results with both bounce and direct flash. I switched to Tv mode and the pictures were much better but still a little toward the yellow side.

Do I need to change settings on the flash itself? Still trying to figure out the T1i and was hoping I could just leave the flash in "auto mode."
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Did you use a defuser with the flash?

I had the same problem when I put a metz 48 flash on my t1i. It was over expose a light beige wall and made it look solid white. I just played around with the settings on the flash, Ettl was on, WB in flash, in AV mode at 4.5 I set the flash to -0.3 to -0.7 as the room we were in was not brightly lite. When I switch to auto with wb at flash, set the flash to -0.3 and it did not seem to over expose. But I did use a defuser with all my shots.

I would do a test shot in the room you took the picture, and play around with the +- on the flash. And see what setting looks best, and after each shot, review to see if you need to make any fine adjustment base on the lighting available.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 26, 2009 at 10:27 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

It sounds like (1) that ceiling is not exactly a white ceiling, or (2) the EX430 flash output is set too high.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:19 AM   #4
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
...I had the same problem when I put a metz 48 flash on my t1i...
I'd make sure to upgrade to the latest firmware from Metz, if you haven't already:

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...1-digital.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:38 AM   #5
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
I have the T1i with the 430EX ii. If not using Full Auto mode what is the best mode for shooting flash shots indoors?

I messed up the Christmas pics this year. I only recently got my T1i and did not have any time to practice with the flash. I took all my Christmas pics in Av mode using bounce off a white ceiling and they all seemed overexposed and somewhat yellow. I had the white balance set to flash. The flash itself was set up with factory defaults as I did not adjust anything on the flash. ISO was 800.

Today I took pics of my granddaughter who couldn't make it on Christmas and came today. Same setup with same results with both bounce and direct flash. I switched to Tv mode and the pictures were much better but still a little toward the yellow side.

Do I need to change settings on the flash itself? Still trying to figure out the T1i and was hoping I could just leave the flash in "auto mode."
Do you have any samples you can share? What were the other settings that the camera selected?

Shooting flash isn't as easy as taking normal photos but usually full auto can work OK. Personally I shoot 90% of flash shots in manual. This includes outdoor flash shots.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:51 AM   #6
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

A yellow/orange tint to images is suggestive of too much ambient light (as compared to the light from the flash). Since Incadescent/Tungsten lighting is warmer than the light from the flash (which is closer to the color temperature of daylight), your symptoms are not unusual.

To solve it (assuming you want more light from the flash, with less ambient light contributing), you can lower your ISO speed and/or use a faster shutter speed and/or use a narrower aperture (higher f/stop number). Chances are, the camera is exposing for ambient light using Av mode. So, the flash is providing very little of the light, leading to the color cast you're seeing.

Using manual exposure is your best bet. That way, you can shoot at your preferred aperture for depth of field purposes, and tweak your shutter speed to allow more or less ambient light as desired.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:42 AM   #7
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

You are using the wrong modes.

Av and Tv modes will try to meter for the ambient light and fire the flash during the exposure, unless you are going for a particular effect they are absolutely the worst modes for flash photography.

P mode is generally much better, but with flash you should generally decide how much ambient light you want to let in, then switch to M mode and adjust accordingly. When shooting in M mode with TTL metering the camera will adjust the output of the flash to accurately expose the scene. Do not worry about shutter speed, in general the flash duration is only about 1/1000 to 1/10000 so even slow shutter speeds will generally freeze all movement because of the short flash duration.

If you are a beginner, NEVER use Av and TV with your Speedlight.
__________________
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:40 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'd make sure to upgrade to the latest firmware from Metz, if you haven't already:

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...1-digital.html
Thanks Jim, I will have to check
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:28 AM   #9
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,544
Default

IMO you did 2 things wrong:
1. ISO 800 is too high of an ISO
2. Av mode
In Av the camera will meter for ambient and then fill in with the flash and with the high ISO the ambient light add the color tint and not enough fill is coming from the flash to balance the light to white

-> It's best to shoot in Manual (M) when using flash as you can control the ambient light with both aperture and shutter while the flash will automatically compensate for the rest of the lighting
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:16 AM.