Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:55 AM   #1

Default A few T1i questions

I just got a T1I and its been great so far. It takes great pictures and is too easy to use. I thought my first DSLR would be more technically challenging to use, but it is no harder than my Sony P&S, possibly even easier. But since it is my first DSLR I have a few questions.

1. What's the best way to clean the lens?
2. How can I do time lapse photo sets?
3. How do I get ISO levels higher than 3200, Ive read 12800 is possible?
4. Is it ok to adjust the lens clarity on the lens, rather than using the * button?
5.What does the button below the lens release button do?
HeavyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:34 AM   #2

1,Get a cleaning kit, use the solvent and clothes they include. Use lens tissue to finish up to get all the lent off the lens.

2,Sorry I do not do time lapse, so I do not know

3,Hit the iso button, and select H then set and you will be at 12800

4,I do not understand the 4 question completely, the * button is for exposure lock or flash exposure lock when using the view finder, it allow you to lock an exposure you want, then frame the shot. In live view it it the only way to focus.

5,The button under the lens release is the preview but for depth of field. It bring the lens to the aperture so you ca preview the depth of field. Look throug the view finder or live view. Change your f setting and push the button, you will get a view of the depth of field.

Hope this helps

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 27, 2009 at 4:41 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyBird View Post
1. What's the best way to clean the lens?
There are lots of good ways. Many here will confess to cleaning a lens with a shirtsleeve on occasion. The thing to remember is that the dirt on a lens will be out of foucs and so would have to be pretty bad in order to affect image quality. I have a blower brush, a lens cleaning cloth (that doubles as an 18% gray card), and a lens pen, but when I sit down to clean all my lenses, I use Q-Tips and distilled water. If necessary, I may even add a little EverClear.

Quote:
2. How can I do time lapse photo sets?
For long exposures, you can use the Bulb shutter speed setting. For repeated exposures on a fixed interval, you need a seperate intervalometer.

Quote:
3. How do I get ISO levels higher than 3200, Ive read 12800 is possible?
You have to set the ISO Expansion in the Custom Function Settings. See page 184 of the Canon EOS REBEL T1i/EOS 500D Instruction Manual.

Quote:
4. Is it ok to adjust the lens clarity on the lens, rather than using the * button?
I'm not sure what you mean here. The * Button is the AE Lock (autoexposure lock) button. It allows you to freeze the camera's exposure settings as the lighting changes or as you recompose your shot.

Quote:
5.What does the button below the lens release button do?
That's the Depth-of-Field Preview Button.

Depth of field is the distance in front of and behind a subject in focus will also be in focus. Large apertures (numerically smaller f-numbers) have less depth of field, allowing you to reduce the impact foreground and background objects have on the image (useful in portraits, for instance), while smaller apertures (numerically larger f-numbers) have more depth of field allowing you to sharpen closer and more distant objects (usefule for landscape shooting, for instance.)

The Depth-of-Field preview button allows you to see the affect of the current aperture setting on the depth of field by closing the aperture to the value that would be used when taking the shot. Because of the smaller aperture used, the viewfinder will become dimmer, but you can use it to check the focus on closer and more distant objects that will be part of the image.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:30 PM   #4

Top both of you, I was referring to adjusting the focus ring vs pressing * when in Live View Mode.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:17 PM   #5

In 'Live View', pressing the * Button tells the camera to autofocus.

Rotating the focus ring is manual focus, and most lenses won't let you do that unless the switch on the lens is set to MF.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 27, 2009 at 8:23 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
In 'Live View', pressing the * Button tells the camera to autofocus.

Rotating the focus ring is manual focus, and most lenses won't let you do that unless the switch on the lens is set to MF.
The Kit lens seems to allow me to do it, though sometimes when in AF it will auto focus even after I manually adjust it. I guess thats what MF is for. I find the AF rarely get its perfect.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:30 PM   #7

Quote:
... I find the AF rarely get its perfect.
To confirm whether or not you have a front-focus/back-focus problem, you can try the procedure on http://www.focustestchart.com/chart.html. If you do have a front-focus/back-focus problem, you can get it fixed under the warranty.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:56 AM   #8

The T1i is tempting. How does it compare to a Lumix GH1? Price gap is huge.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
The T1i is tempting. How does it compare to a Lumix GH1? Price gap is huge.
I would start a new thread as you will get more views than posting in an already running thread that is looking at something slightly different. Probably best to put it in the what camera should I buy section.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote