Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:56 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
This is no different than any other gear decision. You have stories here about when a backup has been good. Find out what used 40d cameras are going for. The question then becomes - what gear could you get for the money you'd make off the sale. If that gear provides more benefit to your photography than the safety net then go for it. If not, then keep the 40d.
i agree with john.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:20 AM   #12

having 2bodies has its benefits but it depends on the situation you're into. if you'll be shooting just casually then i believe a single DSLR is enough but ofcourse if you're shooting at an event like sports or weddings then having 2 bodie (1 for telefoto lens and 2 for wide shots)
> Canon BG-E2 / BG-E5 Battery Grip
> Pro Tama UV 77mm
> Nissin Di622 Speedlite

Canon Speedlite 580 EX II (my next gear to have)
kronuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronuz View Post
having 2bodies has its benefits but it depends on the situation you're into. if you'll be shooting just casually then i believe a single DSLR is enough but ofcourse if you're shooting at an event like sports or weddings then having 2 bodie (1 for telefoto lens and 2 for wide shots)
The prime reason for a second body is the same reason you borrowed the 7d. Backup. If you are shooting for a paying client, you better have a backup in case your main camera goes down. While they are both working, the above quote applies.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:38 PM   #14

For a hobby, i'm saying no. But for a paying job, YES. I'm looking at the G11 with an underwater housing as my spare.
Sigma 10-20, 70-200 F2.8
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:33 PM   #15

I have both the 5D mk II, and a digital rebel. I shoot as a hobby almost entirely. Its convenient to have the two bodies. depending on what I am shooting for example. sometimes a lighter camera is nice, sometimes, having a cropped camera instead of the full frame is useful, particularly for longer shots. If I am possibly in a situation where I am going to need someone else (who is not a photographer) to take pictures of me or, family or friends the automatic and other modes on the rebel work wonders. The rebel has its own built in mediocre flash while the 5d does not ( I use the ex580 speedlite when I need a flash, but that adds even further bulk....though the high iso performance of the 5d is good enough that rarely does that seem to be a big issue for me).

I think the important thing to consider is if you need a constant back-up, or the ability to shoot quickly in widely different configurations ( ie 2 cameras are useful), or whether the 2 bodies each do something unique and different from each other that fulfills a need that you may have. In either of those 2 cases an extra body might be useful.
Krusteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:27 PM   #16

One for Black&White and one for Colour :-)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:04 AM   #17

if ur are Mark1616, u dont need a reason to have two bodies..

its just a relentless inner need to own all the GOOD stuff. Just like me.

but i am controlling my urges..i will definitely add a 5D soon to my mark III. the original 5D is what i want..the best detail i have ever seen from any camera
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:30 AM   #18

I have hung on to both bodies and am finding it useful. I did some shooting at a recent basket ball game using a 70-200 on one body and 17-55 on the other and got some good images on both.

The other nice thing is when I go on walks with my wife I give a camera to her. It use to be she was always recommending interesting shots I should take, now she take those herself and I can take the shots I want. Of course having two bodies I had to get a new camera bag to handle both.
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:45 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
if ur are Mark1616, u dont need a reason to have two bodies..

its just a relentless inner need to own all the GOOD stuff. Just like me.
I do have a reason, that is I like toys and they are even better toys when they can be used to almost pay for themselves (they would if I didn't buy so many).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote