Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:48 PM   #1

Default Reasons to have two bodies???

I had to send in my 40D for repairs again and talked the camera store into giving me a demo 7D to use until mine comes back. Now I donít think I want to give up the 7D. For me the camera is much more intuitive to use. I love the zone focus which seems like it would be a lot easier for sports than trying to keep a single focus point on a moving object. The ability to shoot some video would be cool too.

So here is my question. IF I upgraded should I keep the 40D or sell it off? I could see some options for sports with a second lenses. What would be the reasons to keep the second body other than a back up if one fails?

I have mostly been doing sports and some landscapes plus a few portraits.

Thanks

Tom
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:21 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I nearly always have 2 bodies with me be it at a sporting event or a wedding.

You have to ask how many shots you are missing by only having one body with potentially a long lens when you might desire to go wide. For me though as I'm generally shooting to get paid then I don't want to suddenly be out of the game because a camera goes down.

When I shoot a wedding I have a primary camera with a normal zoom and then the 2nd body with a tele zoom to give me a greater coverage without needing lens changes etc. In this environment I then have a 3rd body with a normal zoom again in case the primary goes down.

Now if I was just shooting for fun then possibly the money could be better used on glass or a flash depending what is needed in your kit.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3

I generally have had two bodies since the mid '70's. I keep different lenses on each body so I can respond faster to a pix opportunity...as the other poster said.

I also sometimes have bodies set at different ISO's, meter modes, AF modes etc.

I also keep two bodies in case I have a problem with one body. So far in all the time since '74...I've had two problems. One a shutter gave out, the other...I miscalculated my battery strength and drained both batteries in one body..no problem in both cases, I just used the other body.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:40 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Well you need to decide what terrible consequence there could be if you didn't have access to a camera for a short period.

If you are a professional on a job; shooting a wedding or sports event then you simply must have at least two bodies.

If you shoot for enjoyment or as a hobby then I think you'd probably be much better off with a backup camera like an S90 or G11. Useful as a backup though they may of course require you to change your style, and of course useful in their own right when an SLR ain't the right tool for the job.

For myself I'd much rather not carry around an extra body. In fact the consequences of having a camera fail (which has never happened to me yet) are zero, so I would much rather not have two DSLR bodies depreciating at frightening rates.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:01 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I agree that having a smaller camera can be really good, not only as a backup but also for when you don't want to have a dSLR with you. I have a Panasonic TZ5 and Canon SX1 which I use for different situations that don't lend themselves to a dSLR.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:54 AM   #6

Well with you original post, if you need to send the 7d out for service, you can just use the 40d unit it's return without talking the shop in leaning you one. But you may be able to re-coop around 600 dollars if you sell the 40d body. So you need to decide if that is worth it for you not to sell it.

I have my back up camera, but it is a P&S. Since I do it for my personal enjoyment and it is not critical if I can not get to set the shot up the way I want, as long as I have something.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:09 AM   #7

It would be nice to be in a position where I can not afford to have a camera body fail; but At this point I am far from being there. There have certainly been times when not having to change the lens would be nice but then you also have to carry both cameras which becomes another challenge. I have also thought about a better quality P & S for those times when taking a full size DSLR is not practical. I have had enough issues with this body in warranty that it may be better to get rid of this body.
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:23 AM   #8

I'll ad my two cent here. About a year and a half ago I rented a lens to see if it would be worth the money to invest in purchasing it. On the first outing of the 3 day trip the shutter on my 30D failed. Luckily my wife was willing to let me use her XT (as long as she got to use it also ) I ended up buying the lens, and now a camera worthy of upgrade has come along and I have the 7D as my primary and the 30D will be my back up / camera with the another lens to keep from having to change all the time. So I think if you can, a second body is a good thing.
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:27 AM   #9

This is no different than any other gear decision. You have stories here about when a backup has been good. Find out what used 40d cameras are going for. The question then becomes - what gear could you get for the money you'd make off the sale. If that gear provides more benefit to your photography than the safety net then go for it. If not, then keep the 40d.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Well you need to decide what terrible consequence there could be if you didn't have access to a camera for a short period.

If you are a professional on a job; shooting a wedding or sports event then you simply must have at least two bodies.

If you shoot for enjoyment or as a hobby then I think you'd probably be much better off with a backup camera like an S90 or G11. Useful as a backup though they may of course require you to change your style, and of course useful in their own right when an SLR ain't the right tool for the job. I don't agree...the smaller P+S..even high quality ones like the G11 don't have the image quality potential of a DSLR.

I usually carry an extra body and lens in a camera bag that has rapid access (Kata 20 3N1)...I have it as a backpack so I don't notice the weight. The main camera is around my neck via neckstrap.

For myself I'd much rather not carry around an extra body. In fact the consequences of having a camera fail (which has never happened to me yet) are zero, so I would much rather not have two DSLR bodies depreciating at frightening rates.
I don't notice the extra weight...probably because I'm a fairly big guy and have been carrying two camera bodies for years...as far as depreciation...I don't worry about it...I keep the same cameras for years (read forever- have about 12 + at last count -since 1968)...don't trade them off....so depreciation isn't an issue for me.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote