Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:59 PM   #91

No problems since yesterday. Its now doing what it should.. continues to search or at worst it might stop attempting to focus.. but no false focus issues.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:06 PM   #92
Super Moderator

Great news. I'm guessing you are working in some pretty low light to get hunting.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:55 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Great news. I'm guessing you are working in some pretty low light to get hunting.
More like busy background but with a raindrop as the focal point \. I would have expected it to nail it based off very very similar 1DmkII shooting conditions.... in fact same location same location of raindrop.. but not same raindrop
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:35 PM   #94

Oh well.. the problem is still here. I am linking to two shots.. excuse the subject.. its for testing only. These are shot from a tripod. Note the 1/60 exposure has a sharp point. The recomposed shot at 1/100 has a very weird complete OOF appearance. Focus point was the liquid dish detergent bottle on both shots. Both times focus was confirmed by audible and visual alert. Center focus point, one shot, AF mode.

http://www.socalsurfs.com/60.jpg

http://www.socalsurfs.com/100.jpg
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:15 PM   #95

Here is another example. Center Focus Point > AF > One Shot. Focus point is right on roof edge but you can see the tree in the foreground on the left is in focus.

http://www.socalsurfs.com/outside.jpg
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:59 PM   #96
Super Moderator

There is certainly something screwy going on but I'm sorry to say I've no idea where it might be...... I'm frustrated for you as I know how much fun I have shooting with the 7D!!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:11 PM   #97

Im out of ideas. Its obvious its not going to get fixed so I can only continue sending it in and hope they eventually swap out the body or get it right.

Oh and I borrowed a battery and it still does and its unlikely these are both bad batteries.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:19 PM   #98

Yikes.... I just messed with AI servo all day. Get about 10% keep rate and thats with my little girl running towards me in a controlled situation at a pace I consider a jog for an adult.. so not really fast. Tried it with center single, center single expanded, center spot, center zone.

Anyone care to share their settings for AI servo for such a situation? I have set what should be optimal setting for giving focus priority over drive but it seems to do just the opposite. My hate for the 7D grows.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:21 AM   #99
Super Moderator

Something really sounds up with this. Did the same situation arise with different lenses? Also have you calibrated the focus for each lens so there is nothing affecting it there?

What have you got Custom Function III - 1 set to? This is the Autofocus/Drive AI Servo tracking sensitivity. The options are -2 -1 0 +1 +2.

I've put together a sequence of what I consider normal focus performance with this camera in a sports situation, these were taken a few months ago when I first got the camera. I've not selected the strongest sequence and I've not selected the weakest, just a good average.... although I'm a bit embarrassed about my ability to keep the camera near level at the end, no idea what happened. These are not a steady speed run with the player trying to keep the opponent off so this can make the AF work harder. Also, I find shooting this team a lot with the 1DmkIII that the red is the hardest for the camera to focus on so never get as good results compared to other colour shirts. I've found the same with red cars too when shooting motor sports.... not sure why.

12 frames, full image cropped for web.

Last edited by Mark1616; Mar 24, 2010 at 5:30 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:23 AM   #100
Super Moderator

The same series with 100% crops on the club logo. I've managed to kill the quality on these a bit as I already did some jpg compression but found I had sized them to 850 on the vertical so used the same files and cropped further and saved again so these have been saved as jpg 3 times and the 2nd and 3rd times were only 85% so forgive some artifacts.