Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:27 AM   #101
Super Moderator

A slightly more controlled test with better subjects due to less fluctuation in speed.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...g-7d-test.html
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:04 AM   #102
Administrator

Widowmaker:

Just out of curiosity, have you tried resetting your camera back to factory defaults to see if an odd setting conflict may be contributing to your problems?

You'll find a "Clear All Settings" choice in your Setup menus you can use for that purpose.

Does your camera have the latest 1.1.0 Firmware installed? If not, I'd upgrade to the latest firmware, too.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/fir.../firmware.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:05 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Widowmaker:

Just out of curiosity, have you tried resetting your camera back to factory defaults to see if an odd setting conflict may be contributing to your problems?

You'll find a "Clear All Settings" choice in your Setup menus you can use for that purpose.

Does your camera have the latest 1.1.0 Firmware installed? If not, I'd upgrade to the latest firmware, too.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/fir.../firmware.html
I have gone a step more.. removed both batteries and let it sit for about an hour, resetting everything. Yes it has the latest firmware.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:16 AM   #104
Administrator

Well... I do know someone that bought a 7D with odd focus problems. Basically, it would work fine for a while then suddenly start producing front focused shots, regardless of focus mode and points selected. Turning it off and back on usually allowed it to work OK for a while again. They got their vendor to swap out the body and the new body has been fine. So, it may be a body problem that's not showing up with initial tests by Canon because it's an intermittent issue. That's only speculation. But, if you can't get it to work correctly, I'd probably push hard for a different body if you haven't done that already.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:21 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Well... I do know someone that bought a 7D with odd focus problems. Basically, it would work fine for a while then suddenly start producing front focused shots, regardless of focus mode and points selected. Turning it off and back on usually allowed it to work OK for a while again. They got their vendor to swap out the body and the new body has been fine. So, it may be a body problem that's not showing up with initial tests by Canon because it's an intermittent issue. That's only speculation. But, if you can't get it to work correctly, I'd probably push hard for a different body if you haven't done that already.
Im calling them today because Im sure that sending it back in will result in the same generic repair comment they use where the focus was found to be out of spec and has been adjusted. Since the first repair comment was the same as the second, its either getting out of spec or its Canons normal BS comment and they dont actually adjust anything.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:16 AM   #106
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Something really sounds up with this. Did the same situation arise with different lenses? Also have you calibrated the focus for each lens so there is nothing affecting it there?

What have you got Custom Function III - 1 set to? This is the Autofocus/Drive AI Servo tracking sensitivity. The options are -2 -1 0 +1 +2.
You didn't answer these questions, the last especially could be key re the experiment with your daughter.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:34 PM   #107

Ha.. I didn't even see your post. The situation is the same on all lenses tested and IMO all have fast enough focus to be able to handle A servo operation... 500 5.6, 70-200 2.8 IS, 17-55 2.8 and 24-70 2.8. Two lenses are mine and the other two a friend, who also has a 7D. None have been calibrated recently but all perform as I would expect when using his body, and just the opposite on mine. His also has never done the false focus confirmation I experience on mine, again using the same lenses.

I have tried all the settings for tracking sensitivity. That setting is mainly for keeping focus from jumping to another subject if something comes between you and subject or if you drift off the subject slightly. In my case the center focus point never leaves the subject and there is nothing between us. Regardless there was no change. I suspect the focus issues the body already has is not helping AI servo mode.

Camera is on its third trip back. Unless it gets replaced I expect the same results, which is annoying since in comparison with the other 7D body, using the same lenses, performance is definitely not on par.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:56 PM   #108
Super Moderator

It's so frustrating, I can't understand how it could be being such a pain and Canon not find it or fix it. Wish I could suggest anything that would resolve the problem for you.... although I'm not sending you my 7D, that is staying right here!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:59 AM   #109
Super Moderator

It seems pretty clear. You've got a bum camera. The fact that Canon aren't willing to simply replace it for you sucks.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:41 AM   #110

Canon after sales service is going down south everyday.....

Instead of canon, send the camera to RG and let him post it on his website. That will probably wake up canon with respect to service.....

Shame on them
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote