Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:37 AM   #21

Hey congrats Mark - I missed this thread. Hope you're enjoying the new toy.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:48 AM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Hey congrats Mark - I missed this thread. Hope you're enjoying the new toy.
Thanks John.... you missed this one as well http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...g-7d-test.html
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:46 PM   #23

congrats mark! any chance we can talk you into posting some of your wedding pictures? who is going to shoot your wedding? 1 last question, what is your favorite diffuser? thanks and again congrats
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:51 AM   #24

Mark I had my 7d for about 3 weeks now and love it. Would you know if their any new firmware updates yet?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imacer View Post
Mark I had my 7d for about 3 weeks now and love it. Would you know if their any new firmware updates yet?
Check Canonusa.com for firmware updates. There has been a firmware update for the 7D, but yours may be new enough that it is current.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:42 PM   #26
spy

What a sweetheart Mark! I wish you all the best and what an amazing place your moving too.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:28 PM   #27

Hi Mark

Congrats on your new 7D, As daft as it sounds i'm so jealous as i purchased a 7D in November last year when the price drop happened from 1700 to 1300, it was an impulse buy as i knew i would have to save for a lens but at the time couldn't pass it up on the price, Infact it is still in its box i have not used it yet, its driving me mad , now and again i get it out to hold.

I nearly have enough for a EF 70~200 f/2.8 USM L NON is, this is what i am saving for, as i shoot motocross photo's.

As i have said in a previous post a while ago, this camera is probably 10 times better than i deserve as i am just an amateur, and i only purchased it as i am an all or nothing type of guy, I have read up on it but don't fully understand all its spec.

I basically wanted the best camera out there for motocrtoss photo's and you guys said the 7D, Now your probably gonna laugh but i keep hearing you talking about a APS-C sensor can you please explain what this is and its benefits if any to me taking motocross photo's.

My other question if anyone knows , I saw some video footage on here a while ago super slow motion really really slow it was a car or jeep going through a street really slow motion can anyone tell me what software does this or how to as i would love to capture motocross bikes off jumps like this.

Hope you can help.
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:36 PM   #28
Super Moderator

That's got to be a killer not being able to shoot!! You are going to love the combo of the 7D and 70-200mm f2.8 and will rock for your needs.

APS-C refers to a sensor that is smaller than that of 35mm film (a FF digital camera like the 5D has the same size sensor as 35mm film). APS-C on Nikon, Sony, Pentax is 1.5 times smaller than FF and on Canon it is just a little smaller again at 1.6 times. The effect it has to a shooter is that the sensor picks up a smaller portion of the scene from the lens compared to FF. This effectively give you more reach or more magnification. There are other things that change such as depth of field but I don't think it is helpful to go into this now.

As for the video, I know you can shoot at 60fps and then with the correct use of software it can be slowed and remain smooth, however I've not played with that side yet to know the settings required in the software.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:56 PM   #29
spy

Warriorsoul7, it's time to take that 7d out of the box and start shooting. In fact, you don't even need a lens to start. You wont be shooting motocross but you can do some "pinhole" photography with the cap in place. Just google "pinhole digital camera" and try your hand at some interesting landscapes while your waiting to get that fast lens your wanting. If you do try it, you should at least buy another body cap ($3) to drill your hole into.

It's an artsy way of looking at the world but some people like it.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:14 AM   #30

Thanks guys for your advice, extremely helpful. I have had a few opportunities to purchase second hand lenses but prefer to wait, not long now, one more pay packet away i reckon.
Thanks again.
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote