Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:58 PM   #51

Well a session at the wetlands with a 400 5.6, tripod and handheld, ended with poor results. I took 400 plus shots and got results similar to the IF shots Mark posted. To me that result is just not acceptable. Its seems the high pixel density in conjunction with the noise just kills fine detail on the 7D. This simply ruins any crop advantage the 18 megapixel might give. Based on a crop/mp ratio, I actually felt I got better crops from the 8mp mkii.

Im glad to see some people like the 7 but for those that are considering I stongly suggest you weigh other options carefully. Don't be drawn in by the 18mp rating.

IMHO.. unless you MUST have HD video.. it makes no sense to get this over a nice used Pro Body like the 1D MKii or MKii N, which can be had for as much as $600 less.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Feb 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:13 AM   #52
Super Moderator

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but are you sure your technique is up to it?

If you down-rez the images to what you were using before do they still look poor? If not then you may simply have passed the point where your existing technique is no longer good enough.

I have certainly had to make adjustments moving from a 5D to a 5DMkII.

I think the DSLR world may now be starting to run into these kind of issues:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/mf-easy.shtml

I started a thread about this not too long ago.

In particular my view was that the 1/FL rule was no longer good enough. 1/2xFL may now be necessary for pixel-level sharpness.

Also exposure will become more critical and high-ISO shooting will not be much fun. But if you down-rez to 8Mp do all your problems go away?

Also I assume you have done extensive testing for any lens micro-adjustment using lens-align or similar?

Last edited by peripatetic; Feb 3, 2010 at 2:18 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:23 AM   #53

Well done, Mark! Very happy for you. Sure hope to hear (see) more of your 7D in the future.

All the best.

Ned Brockwell
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:45 AM   #54

None taken peripatetic.. Believe me after this one month of extensive testing Im well aware that the 7D requires more attention when it comes to technique. That does not mean better technique but rather more specific technique. I have found from my own testing and reading comments of others that the 7D requires more precise exposure, higher shutter speeds, lower ISO (depending on exposure) as well as really good glass.

Now while those are all explanations they are also items you would expect to see on the CONs list of a review. None of those make the 7D more appealing to me. My post was really to give my opinion on what I have found. I have stopped looking for answers and explanations because I have found them all

Oh and as for Lens MA. Yes thats all been covered. I needed -2 on one lens but the 400 5.6 that I used needed none. I had already read the info in the link you provided a while back. Its also another CON for the 7D. If I'm not mistaken the 7D was made to compete with the D300S market. No doubt that 18MP specification on the 7D is more market driven than quality.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Feb 3, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:37 PM   #55
Super Moderator

I agree that with the extra resolution you get a whole bunch of trouble that may not be worth it.

My only question to you really is whether when you downsize (a less than perfect) 18Mp image to 8Mp or indeed make a print of the same size as you would with the 8Mp camera, you actually end up with a worse image or print?

In other words is there any real downside to the 18Mp except that it doesn't look as good at 100% pixel view?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:40 PM   #56

Well thats kind of a baited question isn't it? Did I buy the 1000cc crotch rocket over the 500cc one because I was under the logical impression that it would go faster? Well yeah I did. And if later I found out for it to go faster the sun had to be shining just right (exposure), I had to use special fuel (L Lens) and I had to remove the muffler (noise), I would be equally disappointed. I bought the 7D mainly because of the 18mp. I fully expected to be able to crop in more and keep acceptable IQ.

Your question basically asks if I can downsize my 18 mp picture to 8 megapixel size and be happy with the results. In most cases yes but I would be alot happier with the money I paid extra for the other 10mp back in my pocket and an 8mp camera that delivered good IQ near and even at 100%

Im sure Canon would love for people to be happy buying high MP count cameras that they can sell at higher prices but be happy downsizing them to the resolution of a camera model they released 2 or 3 years ago just to be happy with the image. If that becomes the norm Im going to modify 20D bodies so that it resamples the image to 40MP and market it as a 40MP camera. I know thats completely different but not far from what your asking.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Feb 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:19 PM   #57
Super Moderator

Widow 7

you are definately not in the minority on the disappointment of the 7D. Alot of shooters that used the 1dii/iii were disappointed when they made the move over to the 7d.

However, many ppl that were shooting 30/40/50ds were impressed with the 7D and were quite happy with it. It gave them comparable image quality to what they were use to with much better AF performance.

However, you can't defy physics. so those shooting the larger sensor 1d etc were disappointed at the noise and low per-pixel sharpness. and since they were coming from the 1d AF, they didn't get the advantage of a noticeably improved AF. So it ended up not really being an upgrade for people like yourself.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:35 PM   #58

Yes I agree with that completely. I have tried for a month now to make myself accept this camera and I just can't. Fortunately I posted a "For Trade" ad for a 1D MKii N and have been flooded with even trade offers, a couple within driving distance, so I will check those out first. If Im lucky I will have a II N in my hands soon.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:03 PM   #59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
Yes I agree with that completely. I have tried for a month now to make myself accept this camera and I just can't. Fortunately I posted a "For Trade" ad for a 1D MKii N and have been flooded with even trade offers, a couple within driving distance, so I will check those out first. If Im lucky I will have a II N in my hands soon.
I am sorry it didn't work out for you Widow, its an unfortunate situation that you have to trade back in. best wishes for your trade.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:08 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I am sorry it didn't work out for you Widow, its an unfortunate situation that you have to trade back in. best wishes for your trade.

Thanks.. unless the camera is just jacked up, I already know what to expect. I will test it first as Im sure the other party will test the 7D. I had not even mentioned focusing in my complaints about the 7D but yes that is something that a 1Dii 1Dii N user will notice as lacking, especially when it comes to ai servo.