Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:48 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
Yes I agree with that completely. I have tried for a month now to make myself accept this camera and I just can't. Fortunately I posted a "For Trade" ad for a 1D MKii N and have been flooded with even trade offers, a couple within driving distance, so I will check those out first. If Im lucky I will have a II N in my hands soon.
Good luck with that trade. I have had my 7Ds for over three months now and have found the image quality to be very good.
I talked to a friend who shoots for the AP in Nashville and they have been issued the 7D and 5DII. He loves the 7D and uses it more than the 5DII.
As one who has been a working photog for over 30 years, I have used and tested a lot of gear. Some crap and some fantastic. I put the 7D in the fantastic class of gear and have not seen any of the issues you have complained about. My images are tack sharp and noise, is not an issue.
By the way, what software are you processing you pic in?
Good luck with a trade.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:25 PM   #62
Super Moderator

Heck I don't know what the answer is.

I think that as the 6-micron per-pixel barrier is broken with the current level of technology that conditions have to be near-perfect in order to wring the extra potential out of the high resolution sensor. I can understand why that would be disappointing, but I think it's just the way it is.

For myself I would see reasons for getting the 7D as:
* Better AF than other cameras in its class.
* Good video.
* Higher resolution, but only under the right conditions.

In other words you don't actually lose anything by having the extra pixels and sometimes when the conditions are right you gain something.

Is that a modest feature set? Well sure and there's no way I would expect it to beat a 1DMkII or 1DMkIII at anything. But it is a small improvement over the xxD cameras, and the marketing hype is never really reflected in real-world performance.

I'm sure you'll find the 1-series more to your liking. For wildlife or sports still photography I wouldn't want anything less. (For myself I think investing $10k in video equipment gives a much better return than the same amount in SLR gear, but that's just me.)

Fortunately I have no interest in action photography, so I end up spending most of my money on camera bodies, not lenses. And therefore also have no particular attachment to any manufacturer. I don't really have much of a "system" investment.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:03 PM   #63

Ok my final thoughts on the 7D. I have not traded yet because I noticed something on this body and 2 other 7D bodies were doing. With different lenses, in on shot mode, the camera will sometimes give visual and audible focus confirmation when its obvious that absolutely nothing is in focus. Since I can duplicate this on three different bodies, across 4 lenses, I have no doubt the 7D does have at least some minor focus issues. This can easily explain the many complaints you see about images that appear soft of completely out of focus. For that reason I temporarily called off the trade because I cannot hand over a body I know has issues. Its currently at Canon AGAIN but I do not excpect it to be corrected. Maybe later in a firmware update.

Now for 100% viewing. Its said on several forums that you CANNOT view 7D images at 100%, otherwise you will be let down. This is not true. When conditions are optimal the 7D can produce images that when viewed at pixel level will rival just about any other image at pixel level. The problem is, unless that condition is met, you will most likely end up with less than stellar pixel level results. The more off you are from that condition, the more you eat away at your crop ability. One big factor I have found is shutter speed. Faster speeds are required. This is fine as long as you don't have to increase ISO to much to get it... otherwise you get a snowball effect... Higher shutter speed, higher ISO, more noise, more detail lost, even more detail lost during noise removal. This is true of any camera but I find it significantly higher on the 7D.

Im not a print person. I mostly share online and print from time to time. If you print then these might not even be issues. Not sure. I look to megapixel for crop ability and I have found that the 18mp of the 7D returns less pixel depth crops than other bodies. Yes its due to the larger image showing more flaws but it does not change the fact.

Overall its a nice camera and for the price its even more attractive for newer photographers. Personally, unless you just must have video, I would get a use 1 series body.

The T2i looks to be the same other than dumbed down features. If you don't need the 8fps of the 7d then its the way to go. I think it even has configurable Auto ISO, which the 7D does not at current time. Canon says the T2i sensor is not the same as the 7D. Personally I call BS. Perhaps they made a very slight change that would alllow them to spec it as different but I suspect its the same.

Suggestion.. if your considering the 7D.. Rent or Borrow. One day of shooting and you can make your own judgement.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:41 AM   #64

Quote:
Ok my final thoughts on the 7D. I have not traded yet because I noticed something on this body and 2 other 7D bodies were doing. With different lenses, in on shot mode, the camera will sometimes give visual and audible focus confirmation when its obvious that absolutely nothing is in focus. Since I can duplicate this on three different bodies, across 4 lenses, I have no doubt the 7D does have at least some minor focus issues. This can easily explain the many complaints you see about images that appear soft of completely out of focus..
I have to call BS. I have read your complaints and frankly can NOT duplicate them on either of my 7Ds. Mine are early copies that I received in October.
I admit that I rarely use AF, perhaps it could be that I am an old school photojournalist and have used Canon equipment since the late 70's starting with the F1.
There is no such thing as a piece of equipment that is perfect in all conditions, but Nikon and Canon have done a fantastic job of coming close.
Personally, I would only use one-shot AF with the camera mounted on a sturdy tripod shooting stationary subjects, IF I used AF at all.
I'm sorry you are having issues and I hope you find a solution, or equipment, that makes you happy.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:18 AM   #65
Super Moderator

Personally I still am not having problems at all with my 7D, shooting in both Ai Servo and single focus has been great with a selection of lenses from the Sigma 17-70 through to the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS (the most used lens on this body), Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8. The AF never ceases to amaze me how quickly it locks on and is almost up there with the 1DmkIII (another camera I don't have AF problems with) for sports work where AF is everything.

I used the 7D to shoot indoor Tae Kwon Do and some Show Jumping outdoors and the keeper rate was very high, most of those I cut were due to my framing or not capturing the action rather than AF being off.

Don't get me wrong, AF still misses sometimes but that's to be expected, but after my 1DmkIII this is the best AF system I have in any of my cameras.

Sorry your experience isn't the same as mine or other people around the forums who are getting the results they want very happily.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:25 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokachr View Post
I have to call BS. I have read your complaints and frankly can NOT duplicate them on either of my 7Ds. Mine are early copies that I received in October.
I admit that I rarely use AF, perhaps it could be that I am an old school photojournalist and have used Canon equipment since the late 70's starting with the F1.
There is no such thing as a piece of equipment that is perfect in all conditions, but Nikon and Canon have done a fantastic job of coming close.
Personally, I would only use one-shot AF with the camera mounted on a sturdy tripod shooting stationary subjects, IF I used AF at all.
I'm sorry you are having issues and I hope you find a solution, or equipment, that makes you happy.
No more than you saying its BS because you can't duplicate it and at the same time saying you seldom, if at all use AF. I have no problem with AF when Im using manual focus either. The anomaly I found does not happen regularly but it has been documented by others as well. The only other thing I have complained about is IQ at pixel depth. The biggest defense found being you cannot view 7D images at 100%. Well that right there is pure BS because the 7D can produce images that are stunning at pixel depth. the problem is its not that often. This is where differences in expectations play a big role. Marks image is a perfect example. I know the 7D can produce much better pixel depth results and would not be happy with that result.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Feb 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:56 PM   #67

Quote:
No more than you saying its BS because you can't duplicate it and at the same time saying you seldom, if at all use AF. I have no problem with AF when Im using manual focus either. The anomaly I found does not happen regularly but it has been documented by others as well. The only other thing I have complained about is IQ at pixel depth. The biggest defense found being you cannot view 7D images at 100%. Well that right there is pure BS because the 7D can produce images that are stunning at pixel depth. the problem is its not that often. This is where differences in expectations play a big role. Marks image is a perfect example. I know the 7D can produce much better pixel depth results and would not be happy with that result.
Pal, I know how to troubleshoot equipment. Before I became a pj I worked in my Dads camera repair shop.
Perhaps you have had bad luck or lack the proper skill set to evaluate equipment. You do not get experience by reading magazines.
I have read dozens of reviews on the 7D and have talked to other pj's, who use the 7D and have not heard a thing about the AF issue you complain about. So far, I have not heard of this issue from anyone but YOU.
To imply that I may not know AF because I choose to rarely us it is BS, my friend. Having been a professional photographer for over 30 years, I know my equipment very well.
I did not address the IQ at pixel depth as I have not had an issue with 7D image quality. The 7D produces stunning image quality and since I do not print at 100% it is not an issue for me.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:11 PM   #68

Pal.. I did not imply that you did not know AF. You responded to my post and said the focus anomaly I have found and can reproduce across several bodies and several lenses was BS. You base that off (1) the fact that you have never heard or read about it and (2) that you shoot primarily using Manual Focus and that it has never happened to you. What was I thinking? Surely someone that shoots primarily MF is going to be exposed to more AF issues than someone that shoots primarily AF. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I see your logic now.

If you have not read about completely OOF images with the 7D then .. my friend.. you have not read much.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Feb 27, 2010 at 2:48 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:47 PM   #69

Quote:
Pal, I didn't imply that you didn't know AF... friend. You called the AF issue that I have found and can duplicate across several bodies and lenses BS but in your own words say you seldom use AF... I simply stated that chances are you may not ever experience the issue Im referring to because its an AF issue, not MF issue. If there was anything implied it was your own doing.
Uh, huh. I guess you would be the expert. But hey good luck figuring out YOUR issue. It seems to be rare, if it exists at all, and I don't doubt you may have had a problem. I'm just not at all sure it's not an operator issue.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:58 PM   #70

You can keep throwing skill level implications out all you want. Your 30 years of experience means one thing. You have been doing it for 30 years. In no way does it reflect how well you do it or how much you know In fact I find that usually when someone reverts to pointing out credentials its a sign of their own insecurity.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Feb 27, 2010 at 3:03 PM.