Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:09 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
You can keep throwing skill level implications out all you want. Your 30 years of experience means one thing. You have been doing it for 30 years. Im no way does it reflect how well you do it or how much you know In fact I find that usually when someone reverts to pointing out credentials its a sign of their own insecurity.
Ok. What ever it takes to make you feel good. Did I mention I have over 30 years experience............. LOL!
Let me ask you this; when this af issue surfaces is there a certain lighting condition present? IE flat lighting or perhaps strong backlight? May I ask if it happens under all conditions or is it possibly a certain set of conditions. AF can, as Mark said, fail.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:54 PM   #72

Its fairly random. I have had it happen in many lighting situations so I can't say its any particular one. You can tell when its about to happen because the lens will hunt back and forth quickly then the camera gives focus confirmation by audible and focus point illumination. I did not keep any of the shots because I just recently realized what was going on. When my body returns, assuming it still does it, I will post an example.

There are quite a few examples on other forums but the people posting are not posting the full image, so you cannot tell if they are having a slight front or back focus issue. The example I provide will have reference points throughout so you can tell its the whole image that is OOF.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Feb 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:49 PM   #73

OK. I have seen situations where the af will hunt and give up with every af camera, but not one where it seems to give up and declare itself focused.
The software is pretty complex and like your pc can become corrupted and or not load properly upon start up. I am wondering if you are experiencing a software issue that is not constant and therefore not something that the repair tech is able to duplicate. Intermittent glitches are a bench techs biggest headache.
My apologies for my offensive behavior earlier. I have teenagers........
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:23 PM   #74
Super Moderator

Phew, just got back home and started reading the posts I had missed and wondered how messy it was going to be by the time I turned to page 8...... I'm glad it all calmed down.

I hate it when any kit has a problem, I had some issues with 2 bodies when first going to the Canon 30D back in 2006 (I believe) and finally the 3rd body was OK.

I really hope you get this sorted as I love using my 7D (still doesn't get as much use as the 5DmkII as nothing beats that for most things) and you can get back to enjoying photography rather than being frustrated with what should be a good tool for your photography.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:54 PM   #75

No worries man. I said things in a defensive manner so lets just call it flush

My goal is to have my 7D back in my hands and join the rank of happy owners. I want to like the camera so much that its actually chewing at me that its not here. In some ways I would rather it be here and not working than not here getting fixed. LOL

My apologies for my offensive back lashes... I use to be a teenager and still act like one.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Feb 27, 2010 at 6:56 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 9:30 AM   #76

Well this little repair visit to Canon in Irvine has not been good. They received the body on February 25th. Monday March 1 get an email requesting that I send in "the" lens that I'm having trouble with. I advise them I can reproduce the problem using any of the 5 lenses I have on hand so they say just send one, it don't matter. I send the lens in with the Print Out they provided me, which links the lens to the repair of my 7D body. They get the lens on March 4. On March 10 I get a knock at the door and its a package.. hooray.. my 7D.. NOT. Its just the lens. I open the box and they have a laundry list of parts they replaced on the lens.. mind you the lens that I had ZERO issues with on any body except the 7D. I call and I am told the lines to the technician department is down so they cant reach them to find out anything. Im instructed to try back Friday. I call on Friday the 12th (yesterday) and they check on the status. Im told the 7D is still with the technician. I ask why the requested my lens to test with my 7D but then repaired the lens and sent it back. I get a moment of silence and then the person states that it is odd they repaired it and did not keep it to test with the body. I'm put on hold for about 5 to 10 minutes and then told that the technician has the camera and is going try and finish it today. Miraculously, just minutes after hanging up, the repair status online changes to "repair complete".

I don't know but it appears to me my camera probably sat in repair on the side burner waiting the arrival of the requested lens. Despite the included documentation linking the lens to the repair of my 7D, it was misdirected and treated as a repair and then returned to me. Meanwhile the tech with my camera still has my 7D on hold waiting for the lens. When I call Friday they realize the what has happened and the 7D is pushed through.

Hope this is not what happened but it certainly appears this way.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:18 AM   #77
Super Moderator

it appears that way.

you have really not had a good go with that 7d.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:18 PM   #78

Well I'm going to just shut up and use it. I know better next time.

It actually arrived today even though tracking said it would be here Tuesday. I got back from the grocery store and a fed ex tag was on my door. I actually got lucky and found them a few miles down the road. The repair comment was the generic.. AF system needed adjusting.. blah blah.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 2:56 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
Well I'm going to just shut up and use it. I know better next time.

It actually arrived today even though tracking said it would be here Tuesday. I got back from the grocery store and a fed ex tag was on my door. I actually got lucky and found them a few miles down the road. The repair comment was the generic.. AF system needed adjusting.. blah blah.
Get shooting! I hope it works for you now. If not how about posting some examples? Maybe one of has seen the issue and can offer a solution...... Or not.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:00 PM   #80

Well other than a completey out of focus image theres not much a sample will tell you. I figured out that the camera is confirming focus but near the macro end, where there is nothing in macro range even in the scene. I have duplicated it since receiving the camera and when it happened I checked the focus window on each lens and it was well short of anything in the scene.