Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default I did it, I got the 7D.

For those who knew I was looking at a new toy and possibly trading in the 1D mkIII, I picked up the 7D today. However I think I will get rid of the 30D and 5D as both are only backup cameras to my main kit. The 7D looks like it is going to make a great day to day camera as I'm not a fan of taking the 5D mkII everywhere and as I will soon be moving to Egypt I'm happier to walk around with the 7D.

I went straight out to shoot some birds with the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and 1.4x TC. The light was terrible with pretty bad cloud so I was having to work at up to ISO 1600. I knew that there would be more noise than the 1D mkIII and 5D mkIII but actually I'm pretty pleased with how it has done.

Going back to a crop body I pulled the Sigma 17-70mm out of the loft and I had forgotten how sharp this lens was. The only thing I would really like is IS so just waiting to hear how well the new version performs. Having a HSM motor would be good too but I can forgive it that.

I've left the exif on the photos so you can see the settings. The full photos are not cropped in anyway so you can see my bad technique/how things were in real life. I did do some quick brightness/contrast and noise removal. With the 100% crops I've not done any editing this is exactly out of the camera shooting jpg, there might be a little extra loss of quality as they again saved as jpg with a bit of compression going on.

I want to get out and try the 1D mkIII at the same time to be sure but I think the AF on the 7D does a better job of staying on subject in situations where the 1D would have picked up the background. I also really love the shutter sound on the 7D, so at the moment I'm loving the new baby. The 5D mkII is still my ultimate love for quality but this has made me a happy boy.

I also picked up a Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro as I've been promising myself one for a long time and you can see some samples here Match Macro
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

A couple more samples.

Please ask any questions about the 7D and I will try to give more of an honest opinion as I shoot more.
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Mark congratulations. it looks like the AF worked well in this situation. Noise seems pretty similar to my 50d, which is pretty good considering it crammed in a 3 more mp.

I am sure it will work really nicely as a day to day camera, and one that has video as well, which I know you shoot from time to time.

i look forward to hearing more about your 7d. and if you do get a chance to try it head to head with the 1diii and the 5dkmkii, i would be interested to see how the AF compares to the 1d and how far behind it is in image quality compared to the 5dmkii.

Last edited by Hards80; Dec 31, 2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i look forward to hearing more about your 7d. and if you do get a chance to try it head to head with the 1diii and the 5dkmkii, i would be interested to see how the AF compares to the 1d and how far behind it is in image quality compared to the 5dmkii.
I knew this would be something that people wanted to know, I really shouldn't admit to the other camera still being in my possession then I could make up what I feel like.

Actually it is something I'm interested in as well as I've been doing a whole load of reading to make this decision and couldn't bring myself to depart with the mkIII which is why I will get rid of the 5D and 30D.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Administrator

Congrats Mark!

I thought you'd want to wait until the new 8D was released next week with a 1.3x crop sensor, 30fps still image capture, ISO 25,600 and super fast AF with zoom capability while shooting full 1080p video with Dolby Surround Sound Audio. I guess that huge year end bonus check must have been burning a hole in your pocket. Just kidding, of course.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Super Moderator

LOL. Fortunately I think I will almost completely cover the costs of this the new glass, a 580EX II, battery grip etc with the older kit (bodies, grips and lenses) I'm selling. It will get far better use than having the other bits just sitting there doing nothing at all.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Super Moderator

so when you getting the 1dmkiv?? then you can have HD video on everything.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Unfortunately with getting married in about 5 months this is the end of new cameras which is why I wanted another video shooting option and all round fast performer so I have most things in one package.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Super Moderator

the 7d seems to be pretty ideal for that use. it seems to do most things quite well while maintaining a xxd sized body.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:07 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Exactly, and the first hour shooting with it has confirmed that it does these things well enough to keep me happy.