Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:56 AM   #1
spy

Default Sensor Issue with 5D MarkII??

I bought my 5d MarkII last October and the two lenses used on it are:
1. 70 - 200 2.8;
2. 24 - 70 2.8

I have noticed with some photos that there appears to be something that looks like "light leak" on my images from time to time. It does not happen all the time and I've tried to create the problem using same settings and situations but it doesn't alway occur and it's happened with both lenses. If I boost the ISO's the light arch brightens and also dims when ISO's are lowered. Also, I have the current firmware available.

Yesterday, I was out with a friend photographing a skating party, I had my 70 - 200 and he had his own 24 - 70 2.8. We swapped lenses for a time and it happened again using his lens which tells me it's not a lens issue.

Any one see this before and thanks for your help.

Kevin
Attached Images

Last edited by spy; Jan 4, 2010 at 9:59 AM.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Super Moderator

definitely something is going wrong here. i think it is deserving of a trip back to canon to fix, that is too good of body to let that go.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Kevin, that's a real pain, I'm sorry you are having problems and I agree get it sent in. I've not seen anything like this on any of my cameras over the years.

Let us know how you get on.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Administrator

That's very odd. I don't recall seeing anyone post an image of a problem like that. Let us know what they say was wrong with it (I'm assuming you'll send it in and let them fix it).

Just for giggles, you may want to make sure the lens mount looks OK first (i.e., you don't have some screws backing out causing some light to come in from one side of the lens mount if it's loose). From time to time, you do see lens mounts with the screws not tightened down enough from the factory causing connection issues, etc.

You may also want to check to make sure the spring loaded lens release button isn't sticking in a way that allows light to come through it (and I don't know if it's design would allow that or not).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:14 PM   #5
spy

Thanks for the advice. The sales guy at the store told me that Canon will take the camera, then take 10 photos with it and if the problem doesn't appear they will send the camera back to me. Turn around time.....2 months!

I've burned these images to cd and hopefully they will just consider those if they don't find an issue. It is a shame however that no one else has seen this problem. I hate being the "lucky" one. Should maybe go buy a lottery ticket.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:16 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Thanks for the advice. The sales guy at the store told me that Canon will take the camera, then take 10 photos with it and if the problem doesn't appear they will send the camera back to me. Turn around time.....2 months!

I've burned these images to cd and hopefully they will just consider those if they don't find an issue. It is a shame however that no one else has seen this problem. I hate being the "lucky" one. Should maybe go buy a lottery ticket.
ugh, and you say this is an intermittent problem? that they are likely to not be able to reproduce?

you may give them a call, ask to speak with someone in their pro department, explain them the problem, tell them you have some sample images, etc. see if you can get someone beyond their basic help staff.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:29 PM   #7
Administrator

LOL

Yea.. I don't think that's a sensor issue or processing issue. I think your first post is probably "right on" (looks like a light leak). I could see getting something like that if the lens mount was loose enough allowing light to come in on one side of it during the time the shutter is open. But, you should see more variation as to where the bright spot appears if it's that loose.

The other obvious place that kind of thing would occur would be the lens release button (and given it's location and where the problem is showing up in your images, my guess is that it's the culprit, provided it's design can let light through when it's depressed).

If they haven't shipped it yet, you may want them to take a look at it to see if it's something really simple with it causing an issue (i.e., just not broken in well enough yet, preventing it from snapping all the way back out after being depressed and released, or a bit of plastic or something else stuck in it on one side causing it to bind).

That's speculation. But, that sure looks like a light leak, and there are not a lot of places it should be able to come in from like that.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:41 PM   #8
spy

The guy at the store said "it looks like light leak BUT that ONLY happens with film cameras". One other thing I did was to shine a flashlight right in tight on the left side but nothing happened. Also when you look at the "landscape" mode shot, the light leak is on the left side. When I flip the camera up to take a "portrait" shot it's either on top or on the bottom of the image.

I haven't shipped the camera yet as I wanted to hear from you folks first.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:56 PM   #9
Administrator

It looks like the button is on the left side (with the lens facing your subject) from what I can tell from photos of it, and if that is the culprit, the light coming in should stay with the button for a portrait photo (depending on which way you're rotating the camera).

But, I don't know if it's design would allow any light through when it's depressed. If it's an intermittent issue, that would make sense (not always snapping all the way back out when swapping lenses).

About the only other thing that comes to mind is you may have some type of smudge on one side of the sensor causing it. Have you got anything like sensor swabs with Eclipse you could use to clean it and see if that could be the problem? Or, if not, can you lock the mirror up for cleaning and take a close look at it from different angles using a bright light to see if anything obvious is on it?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:03 PM   #10
Administrator

IOW, if it were mine, I'd try to find something obvious that's easy to correct before sending it back. LOL

That just doesn't look like a typical sensor or electronics type of issue to my eyes.