Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:51 PM   #11

The 18-135mm is a good lens and had better build quality then the 18-55mm. It is a metal housing instead of plastic on the 18-55mm. But it is a heavier lens. I think the 18-135mm will also make for a very good carry around lens, because it has a very good range. That is a very good price for a new 18-135mm. It is about 100 less then everywhere else. And it is an excellent price for a lens with this range with IS.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:58 PM   #12

I was looking at this lens when I was shopping around during my slr to dslr transition. But went with the 2 lens kit instead because the wife prefer a lighter set up, and I had a bunch of EF lenses also.

Here are couple of reviews on the 18-135 lens.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/46...n_18135_3556is

Personally I would go with the ef-s 17-85mm, less distortion because of less zoom range.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 9, 2010 at 6:08 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:05 PM   #13

Where their ranges overlap, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is better than Canon's 17-85 IS USM and the 18-135 IS. It's about the same price and 2/3 f-stop faster (or more, usually a lot more) than the others, though it's not stabilized.

And, btw, the Canon 18-55 IS is so inexpensive because Canon makes LOTS of them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:17 PM   #14

You need to be careful when shooting with a lens that's too wide. Here are some shots I took of some 'Vettes with my Tamron 17-50/2.8. The first was taken at a focal length of 45mm, while the second was taken at 22mm. The wider angle of view in the second makes the left front wheel look larger than the rear wheel, but 'Vettes have larger wheels in the rear than in the front, as can be seen in the first shot.

So a wider angle of view can distort the subject.
Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:43 PM   #15
Super Moderator

The 18-135 might be better built than the 18-55mm IS (make sure you look at the IS if you go this way as the non IS is weak) but the image quality of the 18-135 doesn't live up to that of the 18-55 and there are more distortions with the 18-135. This is a bargain lens that performs really well, I keep considering getting one for a light/cheap walk around lens for my fiancee.

The Tamron is a better lens for sure and the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 is worth a look too.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
... and the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 is worth a look too.
Yeah. That too.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:08 PM   #17

Though, again, neither of them is stabilized. And while there are stabilized versions of them, the jury is still out.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:09 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Though, again, neither of them is stabilized.
True but not an issue for the desired use unless it is going to be indoor with lower light.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:28 PM   #19
Super Moderator

all great suggestions.

and from what i have seen the 18-135 isn't that great optically, it performs more like a superzoom than a normal zoom, with alot of distortion and relatively low resolving power, bad corners, etc. its perk is the convenience.

i like the suggestions of the canon 15-85, the tamron 17-50, and the sigma 17-70.

however, for 75$, there is really no reason not to own the kit lens, as it is quite good. if you can handle the poor build quality. it would at least give you something to start with, and may help you decide where to put your next money based on its strengths and weaknesses.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:09 AM   #20

Default shooting cars

As said, for shooting cars you need a wide lens. Wide starts at 17-18mm.

But you also need a sharp lens. Do not compromise and get a cheap lens.

Learn how to use DOF, you want also the rear wheel to stay in focus. See the following:

Was taken with the T1i, Tamron 17-50, focal length 20mm, on a tripod, F11, 1/2 a second.

I also suggest you get a good circular polarizer filter.