Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:27 PM   #21
Super Moderator

The 18-55 IS kit lens is the best value lens that Canon makes. By a mile. Find the idiot who told you that it was rubbish and give him a comedy slap on the head with a wet fish.

Check out the reviews at http://slrgear.com before making any more decisions.

One of the things you will discover is that the 18-135 is a dog. Avoid.

If you feel, for some bizarre reason, that you simply cannot bring yourself to get the 18-55 IS then consider one of these as an alternative:

1. Canon 17-55 IS f2.8
2. Canon 15 - 85 IS.
3. Tamron 17-50 f2.8 OS.
4. Sigma 17-70 OS.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The 18-55 IS kit lens is the best value lens that Canon makes. By a mile. Find the idiot who told you that it was rubbish and give him a comedy slap on the head with a wet fish.
Written nicely but wrong.

I quote from www.the-digital-picture.com: " If you need a general purpose lens, and the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens reaches the limits of your budget, it is a good choice.", read the full test here:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Also if one considers the Tamron, the old lens without the VC (for Tamron it is Vibration Compensation not OS) is considered a sharper one.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:58 AM   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
Written nicely but wrong.

I quote from www.the-digital-picture.com: " If you need a general purpose lens, and the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens reaches the limits of your budget, it is a good choice.", read the full test here:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Also if one considers the Tamron, the old lens without the VC (for Tamron it is Vibration Compensation not OS) is considered a sharper one.
Ilan, Peripatetic wasn't saying it was one of their best lenses (although certainly isn't bad), but he was saying it is their best value zoom lens, and I agree. Yes if you compare it to lenses like the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or Canon 17-55mm f2.8 which are over 2.5x and 6x more expensive respectively then it isn't as sharp, but this is what we would expect.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:16 PM   #24

I would like to have the 50mm f1.4 for portrait. i don't think you will regret buying it after using it for a while. You don't always have to buy canon made zoom lenses. Have you considered Tamron, Tokina or Sigma made lenses?
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:18 PM   #25

Default n/a

try out some sigma lenses
they are cheaper......are stabilized......comes with a lens hood and sometimes a bag......5-10 yr warranty
good luck
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:43 PM   #26

The 18-55, even the non IS version, is not a bad lens by any means. I have posted this here before but here it is again. This was with the first Digital Rebel and the 18-55 kits lens. I wish I still had that lens and plan on picking up another one.

Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:26 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
The 18-55, even the non IS version, is not a bad lens by any means. I have posted this here before but here it is again. This was with the first Digital Rebel and the 18-55 kits lens. I wish I still had that lens and plan on picking up another one.
Nice image.

But, one thing to keep in mind is that newer, higher resolution sensors place more demands on the lens quality needed for best results. IOW, they may not be capable of resolving enough line pairs/mm to take full advantage of a denser sensor with more photosites packed into the same size sensor.

So, you may reach a point where you'll see little increase in detail captured with some lenses by going with a higher resolution sensor. I noticed that with some the kit lenses that came out with 6MP cameras, where they started to show their limitations as higher resolution cameras came out. IOW, you could buy a 14MP versus 10MP camera and see little to no benefit to the higher resolution sensor with some lenses.

One advantage of the newer 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens is that it's optical quality is higher than the original non-IS versions of these lenses from tests I've seen of it. So, it's better suited to getting the best out of newer higher resolution dSLR models compared to the earlier non-IS versions of it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote