Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:57 PM   #1

Default I think I got a wrong lens for my T1i! Please help me out

Hi guys, I recently bought a Canon T1i with a 50mm 1.4 lens. I was recommended this lens instead of the kit lens (18-55 i think) as an all purpose everyday lens that is much higher quality than kit lens, but unfortunately, it is not working for me. I have to stay really far back from my subject to capture it. If I have a few people in front of me, for them all to fit, I have to be really far away. I tried to take a pic of my family in front of a Christmas tree, but the top of tree did not even fit lol! Also if I'm shooting a building, I find it very hard to capture it completely unless I'm really far. I thought 50mm was supposed to represent how human eye sees the subject? Doesn't look like that at all for me, it is much more "zoomed in" than how my eye sees it. Looks like its only good for really up-close photos. That brings me to the question. What lens should I get that will give me a bigger, wider photo similar to that of regular point and shoot digital cameras, but of course with DSLR quality? Thanks and I appreciate any feedback.
FunMike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

hey mike,

the 50mm is close to normal on a full frame (or film), bu on a crop body digital (like the t1i) it is equivelent to 80mm, so more of a portrait lens/small tele.

i would keep the 50 1.4, you will use it alot for headshot, lowlight, etc.

just pick up a kit lens (the 18-55 IS) on ebay or something, they are cheap ($75) for when you need to go wider.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:05 PM   #3

The 50mm f1.4 is human end in a full frame non crop body camera. The t1i is a asp-c crop camera with a factor of 1.6. So it is about a 80mm lens in actuality. The 18-55 is a good lens for a wider angle that is not to expensive. But if you want a good all around lens in a higher price range the ef-s 17-85mm IS would be good. Or the EF-s 18-135mm IS. Sigma and Tamron has OS lenses in these ranges, but I have not used them.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:06 PM   #4

Hards,

you beat me to the answer. LOL
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:24 PM   #5

Also if you want the ef 50mm prime lens equivalent for the crop body, you may want to look at the canon ef 35 f2
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:33 PM   #6

Thank you for the feedback guys! Looks like I should've just stuck with the kit lens. I didn't buy it because I've read all the rave reviews for 50 1.4 and the clarity is, indeed, very good.. it's just too narrow. I also need to be able to shoot cars for my car dealership and this lens will be a pain in the butt for that lol! So at this point, would you recommend getting the EF-S 18-55 or maybe even something a little wider since 18-55 is pretty close to my 50 1.4, or no? I was also recommend EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS or EF 28-105mm F/3.5-4.5 USM maybe?

Last edited by FunMike86; Jan 9, 2010 at 4:54 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:11 PM   #7

The ef 70-300mm will be a bit narrow on the close end but will give you allot of reach. You will want a wider angle lens.

I have the ef 28-135mm f3.5-4.5 IS USM which works pretty well and it a very fast AF lens with USM which replaced the 28-105 which canon no longer makes. But the EF line is more of a full frame lens. They do not go wider then 28mm which is about 44mm on a crop body. Something like the ef-s 17-85mm will work better for wide angle. Which is almost equal to 28-135mm on crop body like the t1i.

PS

Also there are couple of new lenses out by canon the ef-s 15-85mm which will replace the 17-85mm. Would be another choice that will give you the wider angle you will need for the cars.

And if you want more reach the ef-s 18-135mm will give the wide angle you need and allot more reach for other things with range going out to 135mm

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:23 PM   #8

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is very good, but not for everything, and not for a lot of what you say you want to do. For the price, the Canon 18-55 IS is an excellent choice, but there are also lenses that might be even better for what you want to do. For instance, Canon's 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is better, though expensive. And if you can do without the image stabilization, Tamron's 17-50/2.8 is also very good, and less expensive.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 10, 2010 at 8:41 AM. Reason: Remove redundant, repetitive and superfluous phrase.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:35 PM   #9

Mike,

question, besides the work aspect which will require a wide angle lens down by 15 to 18mm. And since you only have a 50mm prime right now. What else are you planning on using the t1i for. That will help us give you recommendations on how long of a zoom would be right for you.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:42 PM   #10

Thanks again guys! The Canon 17-55 is very expensive yes, it's almost $1,000. After doing some more research, I'm thinking of going with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm, which is about $350. I'm thinking it should have much better performance than the 18-55 kit lens, right? The kit lens just seems suspiciously cheap to me, especially after I spent $350 on 50mm 1.4. The only thing that worries me about the EF-S 18-135m is that there aren't many reviews and sample images of it on amazon (it must new), but whatever it uploaded looks good