Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 23, 2003, 12:58 PM   #1

Default Good lens for my new Digital Rebel?

What would be a good ZOOM lens for my Digital Rebel?

I have been told by a guy that claims if I don't buy an L series I won't like what I see but I don't know about that.

There is a $400 75-300mm f4.0-5.6 IS lens on bhvideophoto.com that I want but I was told it is horrible...

I am confused! I don't have $1000+ for a lens!

Thanks for any input.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2003, 1:15 PM   #2

I have that lens. I've not shot a lot with it, but it certainly is not "horrible" the IS is a godsend. Yes it is pricey compared to a unit without IS, but I think it's worth it. I had a new 55-200 zoom for a few weeks before I bought the 75-300 IS. No comparison. I get bigger magnification and IS to boot.

I'd grab a second cheap lens as well. Canon is giving DOUBLE rebates on 2 lens purchases and TRIPLE on 3 lens buys. Actually begs the question, which lens should I buy next. I gave the 55-200 to my Dad and Sister to use with their Rebel Ti's.

Yes, the L series lenses are the best, but are you shooting for National Geographic?
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 5:08 PM   #3

I also have the lens and it definitely isn't horrible. Example photo at http://www.knighttrain.freeserve.co.uk/ it's the 3rd photo down of the lighthouse. I'm happy with it and the IS is very useful for handholding even at 300mm. Photo taken on 10D at 400ASA. Note the photo is compressed for the web.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:50 PM   #4

See my link below, I'm using a Tamron 28-300 mm, getting good results, I have no complaints.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=16690
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:59 PM   #5

I'm a new Digital SLR user. Just got my D300 at the beginning of the month and I'm absolutely LOVING it. Whereas I could feel the limitations of my old Kodak DC290 and was thoroughly frustrated - now I'm a little tiny fish trying to stay near the surface. Lots to learn, and having fun!

I too am considering my 2nd lens and noticed the Canon 75-300mm in several "steps". Looks like you can get it with or without IS, USM (I think that was it - the quiet drive motor), etc, etc. At a local shop out here I found a Canon EF 75-300 for (I think) around $200. Is it safe to assume that this lens will not have the features that the others do? And - should I hold off until I can afford the ~$450 or so to get the latest, greatest Canon 75-300mm lens?

Happy to have found a forum like this!

-Andy
Latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:20 AM   #6

Optically, all 3 lenses are the same. The USM model has a faster/quieter motor for autofocus. The IS model adds Image Stabilization. This is a real plus because you'll be able to shoot with slower shutter speeds and/or lower ISO settings. Bottom line is that you'll be less likely to blur a shot or introduce noise from a faster ISO setting.

I'd save up for the IS. Yes, it's big and heavy, but one day's shooting with my old 55-200 taught me a lesson. Shooting under a canopy of trees with no tripod means blurring unless your lens can help you hold steady.
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:42 AM   #7

Looks like the 75-300mm lens with IS and the USM motor is about $414 over at Adorama. Might have to wait a month or two to save up for it, but in what you've said and a conversation with a buddy it sounds like lenses are an area that you really get what you pay for.

Thank ya!
Latka is offline   Reply With Quote