Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:42 AM   #1

Default Indoor Basketball Shooting

I just got a xsi kit before xmas. I have 3 lenses. They are the 1.8 50mm, 18-55mm kit, and 55-250mm. Last night i was using the kit lens and had the camera in sports mode. A lot of the pics came out blurry. I am not sure what i am doing wrong. It seemed that most of the shots that were blurry were more of the action shots. Since the games are for 7 year old we are able to sit on the sidelines and not in bleachers so i am fairly close.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:52 AM   #2

Netman,

They're blurry because the sports mode is using ISO 400 and you need to be using ISO 1600. So you need to get out of sports mode. Here's another thread talking about basketball. Take a read - towards the end I give step by step instructions for how to shoot your first basketball game. Realize though - 50mm lens is only good for 15 feet. So on the sideline you're still too far away for quality shots. You need to be on the baseline. If you're on the sidelines you need the 85mm 1.8 if right on the line or 100mm f2.0 if a little further back.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...uestion-3.html
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:07 AM   #3

Thanks. That is a great write up. Thanks for taking the time to write that out. I copied and saved that so i can try it out tommorow at practice. Of my 3 lenses which should i use? Should i stick with my kit lens?

All of this should apply to the issue i had on Saturday night as well. I took my kids to the Monster Jam at Ford Field in Detroit. The dont allow lenses over 5 inches or 50mm. So i took my 1.8 50mm lens and alot of the pics were blurry. I used both the auto mode and sports mode. I now see that using the modes were my biggest issue.

It seems to me that right off the bat from doing some reading in the forums is to understand your shooting conditions, pick the correct lens, and set the camera accordingly.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:21 AM   #4

For basketball, only the 50mm lens will be fast enough. The other lenses would require flash use and you really need external flash for good results there.

For monster truck - that's tough. Even with the right ISO setting you're just going to be too far away to get good shots with only 50mm. Sometimes what we want to do and what we can do aren't the same thing. For example - when I go to a MLB baseball game - whether or not I bring my camera depends on my seats. If I'm not close there's no use wasting frames/time trying to take pictures that aren't going to come out well. Instead I leave the camera at home and enjoy the game. Same is true of professional basketball.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote