Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 3, 2003, 9:42 PM   #21
NHL

Quote:
But YES. What I see in the viewfinder is not what I get on the image
Isn't this clearly a camera problem then? Think about it, even if you try to focus the lens manually (regardless of the AF or what data is exchanged between the lens and the body) what you see as sharp in the viewfinder is not going to be in focus (or front) on the final picture. Ie the distance from the lens mount to the viewfinder screen is not identical as to the distance from the lens mount to the film/sensor plane, which needs to be re-aligned!

Quote:
Since these tests are conducted in the range of 17-28 mm for this effect to show it is hard to show precise focus in the viewfinder.
If you think it's hard for you to show precise focus, wouldn't the AF sensor has the same problem as your eyes as well discerning this? How about trying to focus on some contrasty area with clear demarcation...

I doubt rechipping(if it exists at all) will fix any of your problem especially on newer lenses like the Sigma 24-135mm which was just released this summer or the 17-35 which is an HSM lens. The rechipping only applies to some older lenses manufactured before 2000, and non-HSM lenses (you can do some search on older posts which have already expanded on this subject and their phone number to follow up on which older lens need rechipping)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:11 AM   #22

Getting a bit technical for me here!

NHL, thanks for advising on the 70-200 f/2.8, thats the one for me. I will go for this lens for x-mas and decide later what others I might need. I am reasonable happy with the 18-55 ef-s, though I will be replacing it with better quality in the future.

I'm still considering the Canon 28-135 though, I'll lose on the wide, but hopefully gain on some usefull zoom range.

I'm busy in a bidding war for the Sigma 50-500 (sitting at £331 !), but I doubt I'll get that.

Thanks again for the advice
Ugly Kid Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:55 AM   #23

[quote="NHL"]
Quote:
I doubt rechipping(if it exists at all) will fix any of your problem especially on newer lenses like the Sigma 24-135mm which was just released this summer or the 17-35 which is an HSM lens. The rechipping only applies to some older lenses manufactured before 2000, and non-HSM lenses (you can do some search on older posts which have already expanded on this subject and their phone number to follow up on which older lens need rechipping)
I hope you are wrong but you probably are not. Before I sent in my 17-35 I called Sigma in New York and gave them my serial number and the tech said he did have a more recent chip for my lens as well as my brand new 28-80 sigma. I did send those lenes in and I thought I'd wait for six months to a year before calling them re. my 24-135.

Since Tamron doesn't rechip because their lenses "don't have the problem" (I have photos that differ), I will probably need to try some other 28-300 for a large walkaround lens. How about the Sigma 28-300? Is it too new for rechipping (assuming rechipping works at all)? Any other alternatives? I'm looking for something small and light with a 28-300 reach (actually I'd love 24 to whatever but only Tokina seems to make such a lens).

I tried all my lenses on a brand-new digital rebel yesterday and got pretty much the same results. Thanks for your comments.
bruceperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 3:32 PM   #24
NHL

Quote:
I'm busy in a bidding war for the Sigma 50-500 (sitting at £331 !), but I doubt I'll get that.
... Good luck, this is a very popular lens and is backordered @ most places for the holiday season (must be thoses 300D sales) :lol:

Quote:
I hope you are wrong but you probably are not. Before I sent in my 17-35 I called Sigma in New York and gave them my serial number and the tech said he did have a more recent chip for my lens as well as my brand new 28-80 sigma.
FYI: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ighlight=sigma
The Sigma's link was removed but the problem was that with the release of the Elan 7 camera series onward the Canon autofocus algorithm was stepped up and some older Sigma lenses manufactured before 2000 can not keep up. The 17-35 mm F2.8-4 EX Aspherical HSM has an ultra fast and quiet Ultrasonic motor and do not require rechipping!

Quote:
The lens should then be sent to Sigma’s Service Department, with a note describing that the lens will be used with the new camera. Sigma technicians will then perform the necessary upgrade.

This service will be provided as a courtesy and will not affect the lens’ performance with other Canon AF SLR cameras. In addition, a cleaning and a check of all lens functions will also be provided at no cost to the lens’ owner.

Sincerely,

SIGMA Corporation of America
Service Department
15 Fleetwood Court
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

Tel: 631 585-1144
Fax: 631 585-1895
e-mail: [email protected]
Tamron usually make the most compact lenses, but they don't come in Ultrasonic version at this time like some Sigma's: ie if you don't need the full-time manual focus overide or can live with some gear noise then it's just a slight trade off...
Old Dec 5, 2003, 4:29 AM   #25

All of my efforts have been comparing the merits of Canon and Sigma lenses, I have not looked at Tamron. Does anyone have particular views about Tamron lenses?

I know its a basic question, but being a novice, all the possible permutations about choice of lens is a bit daunting
Old Dec 5, 2003, 6:56 AM   #26
NHL

FYI

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=#78810
Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:06 AM   #27

I took the plunge and ended up going for the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8. I'll let you know how it performs. Thanks for all your input on this
Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:39 AM   #28

In the New B&H Digital catalog, there is a New Tamron 17-35mm 2.8 Di supposed to be out this month (Jan ) @ $479.00 - on their site they show it out of stock - don't know if it has come out yet or just still waiting. One camera store told me that the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 Di works Great with the DRebel.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfire
In the New B&H Digital catalog, there is a New Tamron 17-35mm 2.8 Di supposed to be out this month (Jan ) @ $479.00 - on their site they show it out of stock - don't know if it has come out yet or just still waiting. One camera store told me that the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 Di works Great with the DRebel.
Not so. I have the Tamron 28-75 which I have used with my Canon 10d and I have tested it with a Digital Rebel as well as the stores Tamron 28-75. At F2.8 and at 28mm the lens focuses far in front of the object you think you have focused on. It doesn't even matter if you focus manually or automatic. If you don't believe me I'll be selling mine on ebay soon. Too bad because otherwise it is a great lens. I'll probably send it back to Tarmron to see what they can do but they say they can't do anthing.
bruceperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 3:09 AM   #30

I spend a trigger happy couple of weeks in Cape Town and put my Sigma 24-24 through the gauntlet, and I must say I am very impressed with the results. This lens really does give nice contrast and true colours. IMO it is a good carry-around lens that will spend a lot of time on my camera. Really superb piece of kit.

The only thing that is a slight problem (but it's no fault of the lens) is that the 1.6x multiplier means that virtually all panoramic and interior shots are at it's widest, and the field of view is not all that wide. I am considering the Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 to help cover the wide a bit better.